M06/M08 questions

Reaction score
I have a number of questions for any M06 or M08 owners. I'm considering buying an M06 or M08 and want to make sure it does all I'd want it to MIDI-wise. I've read through the owner's manual but haven't found answers to the following questions.

1) Does the 16-part multimbral only apply to songs and patterns? If not, how do I play up to 16 voices at the same time in real time, without any prerecorded data?

2) Can I assign 4 performances in a master, one to each zone? 4 voices? If not (1 voice or 1 performance), what sound(s) play back in each zone?

3) Can the M06/M08 write to a standard USB thumbdrive? Does the keyboard have to format the drive first?

4) How are effects routed in a performance and in a master? A performance seems to have one master effect, master EQ, per-part EQ, and it looks like one insert effect per part? If multiple performances are used/allowed in a master, how many effects can be used?

5) In a master, can I set the knobs and sliders to not transmit external MIDI data but still to be applied to the internal sounds? I want to control an external keyboard with the M08 in addition to its own sounds but only want to send pitch bend and mod wheel controller events, nothing else.

6) Can the M08 be silenced internally but still send data from the keyboard to an external device? How would I do this? Turn the volume off on all parts?

7) Is the keyboard silenced/are currently-playing notes cut off if I change to a new performance?

8) Can I mute or unmute multiple individual voices in a performance, in a master, and/or in performances stored in a master (i.e. mute voice 1 from performance 1, voice 3 from performance 2) at the same time, ideally by pressing a button? How would I do this? The idea is that if a program change cuts off currently playing notes, I can change voices with a control on the keyboard within the same performance so that the sound doesn't cut off.

9) If the only way to mute multiple voices at a time is with a slider or knob, is there a way to do this so that when I unmute voices, they play at the volume set on the performance /voice/master? I don't want to use a slider that brings in new voices at full volume if I don't want those voices mixed in at full volume.

10) How would I send program changes to external instruments from a master? One per zone, and using the zone's channel? Can a zone be assigned to a performance or voice played back on the internal tone generator and also send data externally?

11) Can I specify exactly which program change is sent externally? I want to be able to increment the program on the M08 but have it change to a specific program on another MIDI device.

Ask a Question