Yamaha M08 Custom List

Reaction score
Hello. I'm using a keyboard that was purchased before I arrived in the position, and could use some help with what I think will be a simple issue. I've briefly read through the manual for the Yamaha M08 keyboard and can't find how to create a custom or shortcut group of sounds that are easy to switch between. Rather than having to push a Bank, Group, and Number button for each sound, is it possible to choose up to 16 (there are 16 Number buttons) in a custom list that allows me to only push the Number button to change between those sounds?

I'm using the keyboard for a musical, so some of the changes need to be made from one measure to the next. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

Reaction score
Thanks for the advice. I already tried setting those up, and you still have to push the category search key, then the favorites key, then scroll to select from your favorites, so it's still pressing a series of buttons and searching through a list of options. Have you found a way to select/set your favorites to the number keys?

Thanks,
Daniel

Page 43 - you can set up "favourites".[/QUOTE]

Reaction score
Hi Daniel,

I don't own this 'board so I am only going off the manual - this seems to be the best way to do it.

I don't use Yamaha gear these days but when I play live I try and set up EVERY sound I'm going to use in my "favourites", and order them sequentially as they're going to be used in the set. So in the case of your 'board I would leave the favourites category permanently open during the show, and move from one patch to the other as necessary. This way it still only takes the push of a button when you want to change, even if you're going back and forth between a couple in a particular song.

If you want to be really clever your 'board MAY also allow you to promote your favourites via a foot switch, saves you even taking your fingers off the keys. Something to investigate perhaps?

Cheers,

Paul

Reaction score
Thanks Paul,

I'll check it again when I'm back at the instrument, but I remember having to select a favorite (which put me back in the home screen) rather than just highlighting it within the favorites screen to get the particular patch to take effect. My plan B is to just print a cheat sheet and try to hit the right sequence of buttons as quickly as possible. It seems like the favorites function is really just a shortcut list in case I forget where to find a particular patch. I believe there are some advanced options for me to program in a complete sequence of sounds for the entire show, but I'm looking for a simpler solution that gives me a little more flexibility as we approach opening night.

Thank you so much for your help. I'll play around a bit more with the favorites option, and also see if I get any response from the CS people at Yamaha.

Sincerely,
Daniel

Ask a Question