My "One Day Song" experiment

Reaction score
Hey there!

So, as probably many others, I've had some issues with starting a bunch of projects but never actually finishing them. May it be songs, games, films, software or anything else really. It all starts out with a great idea that I pursue for a few hours or maybe a week, but then it stops half way and it all kinda falls into oblivion. I've ended up with quite a big pile of unfinished projects. So I decided to do something about it!

I decided to do a little bit of an experiment, in which I force myself to completely finish a song - from the very first idea until the finished product - all in one day. Hence never giving myself the opportunity to "finish it later".

So, here's my first "One Day Song". It may not be much, but it sure is more than nothing it all!

Oriane Lima

Hold on
Reaction score
I liked it. I encourage you to continue with the project. I suggest that you improve the lighting of the film. You showed that you have great skill with the small keyboard.
:)

Reaction score
Thank you Oriane! Glad you liked it :D

Funny you should mention the lighting. I actually did construct quite the serious-grade lighting setup for the film recording, but noticed afterwards that I had forgot to turn it on xD So I'm aware of that, just messed it up ^^

And I've got every intention to continue with the project! I intend to make the second one whenever I can dedicate a full day for it, hopefully next weekend :) I'll post the next one here when I do!

Reaction score
That really is a terrific idea, you are really a quite talented multi-instrumentalist and that was a very creative composition. You did that all in one day, fantastic. I've got so many unfinished little clips sitting around, I've been an on and off player for many years. It's not easy to stay consistent.

Reaction score
Thank you Charles! Yeah I did do it in one pretty intense day. All in all it took me about 13 hours, but that's including all the filming and editing for the video!
Also, it sounds like you're struggling with the same issues as I did when I came up with this idea, so why not give this a shot yourself? :)

Reaction score
Thank you Charles! Yeah I did do it in one pretty intense day. All in all it took me about 13 hours, but that's including all the filming and editing for the video!
Also, it sounds like you're struggling with the same issues as I did when I came up with this idea, so why not give this a shot yourself? :)
Nice challenge, I'm sure I as many others will be inspired by what you've done, again congrats.

Reaction score
A great idea and a great track :) It sounds very polished, good work!

Reaction score
In case anyone's interested, I made another one :) Apparently I kinda went the orchestral route on this one, but didn't really know where to take it from there, so it ended up kinda short ^^ But that's also part of the reason I'm doing this - to learn! To dare and try different things, as failing isn't quite as costly if I only spent one day with it :)

Also, since this one is pure MIDI that I just played on my teeny tiny keyboard, there wasn't much to make a video of... So I just used some pictures that I had lying around ^^

Reaction score
Very nice composition! Really enjoyed it - that's the nice thing about being diverse, you can bring so many different moods to different pieces. I play guitar as well and was a drummer for some years, so have lots of ideas. It's finding the energy to get the time in after being drained from work. I'll repeat that your music is inspirational and a good reason for others to try the same.

Reaction score
Thanks again Charles! If I can inspire anyone to create, it's a dream come true!
Also, I feel your pain on the "finding energy after work" part, I find that really difficult as well.... Actually right now I'm trying to use the morning hours instead, just put my wake-up alarm earlier and now I've got 1½ hours of dedicated music/video creation in the morning :) I've barely been doing it for two weeks though, so it's a bit early to call it, but so far it seems to be working fine :)

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
Beautiful piece Sargas. Very realistic orchestral addagio (?) strings. What sort of keyboard are you using? As far as finding time to record a full sequence? That's what the communist party gave us weekends for :D :D :D

Gary ;)

Reaction score
Thanks Happyrat! :) This particular piece was done entirely on my $50 Korg MicroKey :D
11062556_800.jpg

I'm currently without a real "proper" keyboard, as I sold my old one but haven't been able to buy a new one yet :p The sounds are from Garriton Instant Orchestra!
And yeah, weekends are great :D

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
Sargas >>> Now you blew my mind. Doing that piece on a shitty little two octave controller shows enormous patience and will power.

I'd slit my wrists if I didn't have at least four octaves to noodle with :eek:

BTW, if you're afraid of waking the neighbours in the wee hours that's what headphones are for man. :)

Gary ;)

Reaction score
Haha yeah, well I don't want to let a lack of gear hold me back! If I wanna do something, I'll find a way to make it work ;) For instance, sometimes I've transcribed melodies using an online keyboard such as http://virtualpiano.net/ and clicking with my mouse ^^
You just gotta do what you gotta do, you know. Determination is key! :)

Also, waking up my neighbors shouldn't be a problem - all of my instruments are either MIDI or lined straight to my audio interface :)

Rayblewit

Love Music / Love Life
Reaction score
Nicely done! You could take that tune places for sure. I would be expanding it if I was you. Maybe power it up with some drums or brass. Yeah?
It sounds just great as it is . . But I just feel it has more potential.
Impressive!

Reaction score
Nicely done! You could take that tune places for sure. I would be expanding it if I was you. Maybe power it up with some drums or brass. Yeah?
It sounds just great as it is . . But I just feel it has more potential.
Impressive!

Yeah I had that feeling as well, like "Yeah this could be awesome!" and I kinda wanted to take it places, but I didn't really know where to go with it :O I wanted to stay within the orchestral realm, but couldn't really get any good ideas out of it since I'm a total orchestra-rookie. I *could* have added like guitars and drums and stuff and turn it into "rock orchestra" of sorts, but that would have kinda been my "easy way out" so I didn't want to do that ^^

Oriane Lima

Hold on
Reaction score
The sounds are from Garriton Instant Orchestra!
And yeah, weekends are great :D

Sargas, hi! I liked this # 2, beautiful and relaxing sound. Your mini keyboard has a very good sound and it's amazing how your ability to manipulate the instrument, gives the feeling that it is a full orchestra. Killer stuff Sargas. That's why this site is interesting, we are in continuous learning.:)

Reaction score
Sargas, hi! I liked this # 2, beautiful and relaxing sound. Your mini keyboard has a very good sound and it's amazing how your ability to manipulate the instrument, gives the feeling that it is a full orchestra. Killer stuff Sargas. That's why this site is interesting, we are in continuous learning.:)

Thanks! :) And well, that's the beauty of MIDI, it doesn't matter what keyboard you're using, only what software ;)
For the record, the software I used for this was Garritan Instant Orchestra. Look it up if you're interested :)

Ask a Question