Old Clavinova not being seen by Windows 10

Reaction score
My Clavinova CLP-300 works fine, but my Windows 10 cannot see it. I cannot find any device driver for it, but have asked Yamaha for guidance (without a reply yet).

My Clavinova is connected via a new USB-Midi cable which automatically installed and updated itself as soon as I plugged it into my Windows 10 laptop. The Windows Devices show a USB-Midi connected (but no Clavinova). Similarly, my MIDI-OX program sees a USB-Midi connection but no Midi "device."

Thanks for your suggestion.........it's a Christmas present for my young son....no pressure !

Reaction score
Thanks for the speedy response !

It loaded a games advertisement ext to my chrome before allowing the download. (I will remove it, of course). However, on selecting download, Chrome warned that the file is dangerous and wouldn't let me even choose to continue. Any other sources ?

Reaction score
Thanks. I downloaded the 64-bit with no problem. Upon installation, however, I got Error 25001 no device connected. I followed the instructions correctly, I believe. Reinstalled USB-Midi cable, and powered CLP-300 off and on, with time delay. Cable connections have been checked and re-checked. No joy.
(Computer is 64-bit)

Any other ideas ?

SeaGtGruff

I meant to play that note!
Reaction score
Well, I thought that normally when you're using a third-party USB-MIDI interface, that if you have any trouble with the device not being seen correctly then you need to install the driver that goes with the interface, not the driver for the device. For instance, if you were using an M-Audio USB-MIDI interface then you would want to use the driver that goes with the M-Audio interface, not the driver that goes with the device (in this case, the Yamaha Clavinova).

Note that many USB-MIDI interfaces are supposed to be "plug-and-play" and "class-compliant," so they might not even have a driver available, or you might need to search carefully on the manufacturer's web site for the driver you need.

However, recently there was a post (either here or in another forum) from someone who was having trouble using a Yamaha keyboard with a third-party USB-MIDI interface, and in he said that he finally got it working after installing Yamaha's USB-MIDI driver, which was why I suggested that you might try that-- especially since you had said that you couldn't find a driver for the interface.

You didn't mention what brand of USB-MIDI interface you bought, but I should warn you that some of the inexpensive ones from companies that seem to have no web site turn out to be unreliable. It's almost always better to spend a little more money on a name-brand USB-MIDI interface from a well-known company that has an established web site and readily-available USB-MIDI drivers in case they're needed. So if all else fails to help, I would suggest getting a different USB-MIDI interface to try.

Another thing you might try is see if you can get the existing USB-MIDI interface to work with a different USB port on the computer. These days a lot of computers are equipped with USB 3 ports, but some equipment is not able to connect successfully to a USB 3 port. If you're currently trying to connect to a USB 3 port, see if moving the USB-MIDI interface to a USB 2 port makes a difference.

And if you're already connecting to a USB 2 port, try moving it to a different USB 2 port. I've run into situations where some device (such as a computer keyboard or a USB flash drive) wouldn't work correctly when plugged into a particular USB port on my computer, and moving it to a different USB port resolved the issue. You might think that one port's the same as any other, but each has its own ID within the computer, and sometimes it can make a difference which one you plug a device into, such as if any driver information associated with a specific port got mucked up somehow.

tjw

Reaction score
I have Windows 10 and use a PreSonus AudioBox USB interface. None of my software, including Midi-OX, recognizes that a Yamaha CVP-105 is connected to this interface. All of my software recognizes AudioBox USB as being the interface, and all of my software is able to receive and transmit MIDI to and from the CVP-105, with no noted difficulty.

I'm not sure what you're looking for, in terms of Windows recognizing a specific keyboard. This may be beyond my knowledge and experience, but cannot remember ever having MS-DOS or Windows "know" a keyboard, only an interface.

I've used a few different kinds of MIDI interfaces, from those which were dedicated plug-in cards, to FireWire, to USB. I have Sonar X1 and the newer X3 BandLab Cakewalk. Neither of these programs directly support the CVP-105 but both of them recognize patches from the "General MIDI" specification.

Some years ago, I remember some Windows bug which would keep assigning USB endpoints beyond the limits, and interfaces would not get enumerated. I don't think this exists as late as Windows 10, though.

Many of the folks on here are more tuned in to these things than me, hopefully, someone will come along with some answers if @SeaGtGruff didn't already ..... best wishes

Last edited:
Reaction score
Thank you so much. Because of your first thoughts, I went back and examined the USB Midi cable and it's instructions. Simple problem.....IN connects to OUT, not IN to IN. How could I know ?

So, now I have MIDI-OX showing USB Midi device for Input and Output, and any keyboard activity shows up on that programme's data screen. Also, the USB Midi cable has a "window" that glows red with power on, and now it is also blinking blue lights to show activity !!!!

However, on ProTools First, it shows only "midi device emulated" where I select my Midi device. The keyboard does not do anything on the ProTools programme, but we are still investigating. Any help with ProTools or Midi-Ox will be appreciated. At least we know the problem is NOT a Yamaha device driver.

SeaGtGruff

Reaction score
Hey, you're making real progress! :)

I have Pro Tools First installed on my desktop computer, and I find it to be very difficult to wrap my head around, but I'll see if I can figure out how to use my Yamaha keyboard with it.

If you're looking for a free DAW for your son to play with and learn on, there are some other options you might want to consider, such PreSonus Studio One Prime, Tracktion T7, or Cakewalk by BandLab. There are probably many others, but those are the ones that came to mind off the top of my head.

tjw

Reaction score
You got it working in only 24 hours. You're sure beating me..... It took me weeks to get my MS-DOS Cakewalk/MPU-401 interface playing.....1991, I think....

Reaction score
Thank you very much for your patience and suggestions. I will definitely look for others that might be easier to get him started. ProTools was a strong recommendation from a friend.

I VERY much appreciate the rapid respond from you on this forum. I will close this thread now that the original problem is solved (by reading the fine print).

Merry Christmas to all

SeaGtGruff

Reaction score
Merry Christmas to you, your son, and the rest of your family! :)

Ask a Question