PA1000 Piano Sounds

Reaction score
I just bought a new PA1000 and the “piano sounds” SUCK! It sounds like a toy compared to my Roland keyboards.
I bought it to use on my Monday-Thursday Duo gigs, to add drums and manual bass to the act. But the piano sounds are SO horrible, and even the best bass sounds are SAD compared to my Rolands.
AND it was so “deep” I had to buy a new road case for it, as none of mine would fit,)
I’ve tried tweaking the equalizer and effects, with no luck. $2000 and it sounds like a 1970s Casio...
Does anyone have an idea that would help? (yeah, I know, just buy a Roland Ea-7)

Rayblewit

Love Music / Love Life
Reaction score
and the “piano sounds” SUCK! It sounds like a toy

That doesn't sound right.

I wonder if something needs tweaking with yours. I have heard the piano sounds from the korg and to me they are equal to the yamaha. Are you comparing "grand piano" with "grand piano?" There are many variations and kinds of piano sounds.
But we all hear on different levels and maybe your hearing range picks up on a more sensitive level.
Anyway since you just bought it maybe you have you got a cooling off period maybe you can swap it. Even for an additional fee or a few bucks.

If you are not happy now, you will be miserable playing with your duo gigs partner.

Check it for anomalies or swap it for another model.
Ray

Reaction score
That doesn't sound right.

I wonder if something needs tweaking with yours. I have heard the piano sounds from the korg and to me they are equal to the yamaha. Are you comparing "grand piano" with "grand piano?" There are many variations and kinds of piano sounds.
But we all hear on different levels and maybe your hearing range picks up on a more sensitive level.
Anyway since you just bought it maybe you have you got a cooling off period maybe you can swap it. Even for an additional fee or a few bucks.

If you are not happy now, you will be miserable playing with your duo gigs partner.

Check it for anomalies or swap it for another model.
Ray
Believe me Ray, they are horrible. They sound pretty decent through the onboard speakers or headphones, but through a real pa they suck!
I’ve tried every piano on the dang thing. I’ve tried them mono, stereo, to 3 different keyboard amps, to a PA speaker,
I’ve equalized, reduced the effects, changed cables, and everything else I can think of. Organs, Electric Pianos, Horns, etc. sound good, pianos stink!
Meanwhile, I’ve got 8 other keyboards that sound fine through the same setups.
Maybe I’ve just got “Trailerpark Taste”, but...

Reaction score
I have a 700 and it sounds great.

Have heard the 700, 100 and PA4X through the same Pro grade PA system and all instrument sounds were excellent, this was during a demo evening with the full time Pro Musician playing a very wide selection of music.

Suggest you return the 1000 as it is highly likely at fault.

Reaction score
I have a 700 and it sounds great.

Have heard the 700, 100 and PA4X through the same Pro grade PA system and all instrument sounds were excellent, this was during a demo evening with the full time Pro Musician playing a very wide selection of music.

Suggest you return the 1000 as it is highly likely at fault.

Hmmm... I guess that’s possible, but the other sounds are okay. Maybe I just have bad taste... our family business is a concert venue, so I had lots of quality PA choices to try it through, and the pianos sounded terrible on them all.
Man, I hate it, because I was really excited when I ordered this. I Ioved some of the features, which are way ahead of other arrangers, and I liked the button layout better than some others too.
But I literally tried EVERY piano on the thing... there were some better than others, but NONE up to pro standards.

Reaction score
Have a look at this video, it may lead to you in to installing additional piano sounds.

I know from the korg forum that owners have also converted other manufacturers soundfonts into Korg’s format.

Reaction score
Have you tried using another manufacturers Keyboard on your PA system ?

Are you feeding the Keyboard audio output into a Mixing desk?

If yes, have you tried using different inputs to said Mixing desk?

BTW
Are you a member of korgforums.com?

The reason I as is that there is a Guru there called John who is a Wizz at constructing and modifying Styles and Sounds, he has a whole batch of these available so I thought that it might be worth installing a couple of his Piano sounds on your Keyboard.

Last edited:

SeaGtGruff

I meant to play that note!
Reaction score
Could it be a STEREO to MONO problem? The acoustic piano patches are almost certainly in stereo. Sending one channel without the other might sound off, and merging both channels into a mono signal might result in certain portions of the waveforms getting cancelled out. For best results, send both channels and keep them separate.

Reaction score
I don't think PA1000 Pianos should be so drastically different from the Pa4x. I've been playing the Pa4x Pianos for over 4 years now and I'm VERY happy with them. Italian grand is my favorite. I've even played them on mono systems such as Bose L2 ...etc... . They cut through and all. The only sounds that I've never liked are Choir stuff. Yamaha definitely shines in that area.

Reaction score
Issue might be the PA then, or your method of connecting?
No, all my Roland and Emu keyboards sound great through the same setups... I usually use 2-3 keyboards, which I have hooked up along with the PA1000, so they’re easy to compare. Plus I have numerous PA setups, because we own a concert venue.

Reaction score
Could it be a STEREO to MONO problem? The acoustic piano patches are almost certainly in stereo. Sending one channel without the other might sound off, and merging both channels into a mono signal might result in certain portions of the waveforms getting cancelled out. For best results, send both channels and keep them separate.
Yeah, I tried all of that... it made some difference, but they still sucked.

Reaction score
No, I’ve tried it on several PA setups while simultaneously having at least one Roland hooked up... Roland sounds great, Korg sounds like a toy. (And I have lots of PA to chose from because we own a concert venue)
What I would suggest then Doug is to EQ the sounds.

When I play piano sounds in a live performance environment I always tweak the EQ to ensure it comes across well and cuts through the mix. Then I save as a "favourite" and I'm good to go.

Reaction score
What I would suggest then Doug is to EQ the sounds.

When I play piano sounds in a live performance environment I always tweak the EQ to ensure it comes across well and cuts through the mix. Then I save as a "favourite" and I'm good to go.
If you read my posts above, you’d see that was one of the first things I tried...

Rayblewit

Love Music / Love Life
Reaction score
Doug,
If anyone here can offer advice about your sound problems it's @CowboyNQ .
If his suggestions don't fix it then I think you are in the deep end.
Others here too have offered solutions and they are well equipped to advise you but sadly none so far can help you.:(
Your problem seems to be unique and frustrating for you. So where do we go?
Everyone here involved with your post are keen to help you.
What else can we do for you?

I feel your last post came across as abrupt and disparaging towards @CowboyNQ . Hopefully it was just frustrations.
Ray

Ask a Question