Piano In 21 Days approach

Reaction score
I found this guy online and purchased his course. It sounds crazy, Piano In 21 Days, but in only two weeks I am playing pop songs I enjoy. His name is Jacques Hopkins. He does not teach classical or notereading. Rather, he teaches chords, progressions, and arpeggios in a way that gets you started playing right away. I do not work for him. You can check out the link below. He also has free videos on You Tube.

www.pianoin21days.com

Reaction score
As a person who took 6 years of piano lessons I am somewhat offended by the phrase that in 21 days this person ( who I've seen on TV) teaches you "the right way". Learning the correct way is teaching someone theory and learning and mastering scale technique and being able to read music in all scales which can't be done in 21 days. No difference not then a self taught guitarist who plays the wrong notes and you tell him that music is a diminished 9th and he is playing a minor chord and he is creating a dissonent tone against the diminished. He looks at you with a blank stare. That's what 21 days of lessons and short cuts get you.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reaction score
Dear Dave,
I took ten years of piano lessons, six years of guitar lessons, I play by ear, and I know quite a bit about music theory. In all those years of lessons, I learned to sight read and was taught a lot of classical music, which was lovely, but wasn't what I was passionate about. In the end, I learned a lot of skills but lost interest and put my keyboard away.

Now, to the piano course. Is it the equivalent of six years of lessons and thousands of hours of practice and theoretical study? No. And it doesn't promise to be. Am I using my ear to figure out some chord progressions and songs I've dreamt of learning for 30 years? Yes.

Also, the course will indeed get a beginner playing the piano in 21 days. There's no trick to it, as it requires practice. Most students in the course take a lot longer than 21 days, but one can get through it in that amount of time.

By the way, the author of this course, to my knowledge, has never advertised on television. Perhaps you have him confused with that bald guy on tv who has a similarly titled course called "Piano In A Flash?" This is not that.

Lastly, being profane is not really that useful or attractive and undermines the good faith of this community.

I wish you well in your musical journey. I am overjoyed about learning to play the piano again.

Rayblewit

Love Music / Love Life
Reaction score
Horses for Courses!
I learn't keyboard from books. Basics only not including music theory. It suits me just fine and I am very happy with my progress and achievements.
It's an individual's choice and there is NO perfect way to learn that everyone must adhere to. At my age, there is no way in hell I will be learning music theory. I would consider however the 21 day method.
Ray

Reaction score
Horses for Courses!
I learn't keyboard from books. Basics only not including music theory. It suits me just fine and I am very happy with my progress and achievements.
It's an individual's choice and there is NO perfect way to learn that everyone must adhere to. At my age, there is no way in hell I will be learning music theory. I would consider however the 21 day method.
Ray

Ray,
My sentiments exactly. It's akin to learning theory and different ways people learn most effectively. I tried books before but I discovered that am an aural learner and this guy's approach fits nicely with my natural ear for music and my love for improvisation.

I already know a lot of theory but where I need to improve is chord knowledge and practice of the unfamiliar ones. In fact, I am on Lesson 10 out of the 21 (working on keyboard knowledge and intervals). Next lesson I will be working on major and minor chords in all keys. After that, the inversions. But I already know a little about that as I have figured them out by ear.

Horses for courses indeed! Keep playing. :)

Reaction score
If you took ten years of piano lessons and 6 years of guitar lessons and you're just now learning major and minor chords and later you will be learning inversions I have to shake my head wondering what it was that you were learning over the course of 10 years of piano lessons. And I hope the money that was wasted was yours and not someone else's....

Cheers mate......

Reaction score
If you took ten years of piano lessons and 6 years of guitar lessons and you're just now learning major and minor chords and later you will be learning inversions I have to shake my head wondering what it was that you were learning over the course of 10 years of piano lessons. And I hope the money that was wasted was yours and not someone else's....

Cheers mate......

Dear Dave,
It seems like you are looking to pick a fight. Sorry if it is not working. I will simply add that my lessons were years ago, when I was a teen. I am not a teen any longer. I learned a lot but forgot a great deal.

Reaction score
Still loving this course. I figured out the chords to Ed Sheerah's "Photograph," Adele's "Someone Like You," and the main piano parts to an old funk favorite, "Outstanding" by the Gap Band.

Day 11 of 21 is in the can.

Reaction score
What is the saying, learn three chords and you can play thousands of pop songs.

Whatever works for you is great, it will give a foundation but only a foundation.

Do have lessons for a while to get you on the right track.

There is another online course that gets great reviews check out pianogenius on Youtube for his starter video.

Reaction score
Thanks for your comments and the reference to pianogenius. I checked out some of the videos and they will be a very good supplement to my learning.

Reaction score
I found this guy online and purchased his course. It sounds crazy, Piano In 21 Days, but in only two weeks I am playing pop songs I enjoy. His name is Jacques Hopkins. He does not teach classical or notereading. Rather, he teaches chords, progressions, and arpeggios in a way that gets you started playing right away. I do not work for him. You can check out the link below. He also has free videos on You Tube.

www.pianoin21days.com
first of all I am so happy to have found this platform and especially you.

Hello Blueser,
Is there any way you can share the workbook of piano in 21 days with me. I am a teen and I have a great interest in music but my folks won't let me. I attended Jacques Webinar yesterday and I was so excited until he didn't talk about the cost. I can't ask my folks to lend me that much amount. Will you help?

I really hope that you reply.

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
This forum has a STRICT anti piracy policy and it's considered an infraction to post any such request for copyright material.

Sorry, but if you want the course you'll have to pay for it like everyone else.

Gary ;)

Reaction score
This forum has a STRICT anti piracy policy and it's considered an infraction to post any such request for copyright material.

Sorry, but if you want the course you'll have to pay for it like everyone else.

Gary ;)

OK, Mr. Gary.

If not, I would like to have a word with Blueser to get a detailed review about the course because he started this thread :D

have you also taken lessons from the same site?

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
Nope. There's plenty of free tutorials on the internet and youtube available to download and print out and I'm with the consensus that in 21 days you can't possibly learn anything of value about playing keyboards.

Take a look at the Tutorial Links Thread and Music Theory Thread on these forums and you'll get a good idea of the big picture.

Gary ;)

Reaction score
Nope. There's plenty of free tutorials on the internet and youtube available to download and print out and I'm with the consensus that in 21 days you can't possibly learn anything of value about playing keyboards.

Take a look at the Tutorial Links Thread and Music Theory Thread on these forums and you'll get a good idea of the big picture.

Gary ;)
Sure, I am not looking to learn classical piano playing.
Just for myself, some chords and some songs to be able to sing along :)

Also Piano in 21 days looks promising, I am just broke aF teen :D

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
You're young. You have plenty of time to learn your scales, your circle of fifths and notation.

Meanwhile if you can swing $30 or $40 or so you could always start with a book or three.

There's a lot more to playing a keyboard well than just "learning a few chords and popular tunes."

If you really want to get somewhere with it in the long run you'll have to at least be able to read some basic sheet music.

If you apply yourself, the four books I listed will get you off to a great start.

Gary ;)

Reaction score
Before you rush out and buy any books can you advise if you want to learn how to play Piano or how to play a Keyboard.

There is a substantial difference.

Also what instrument do you currently have?

Rayblewit

Love Music / Love Life
Reaction score
You can also go to your local library and borrow tutorial books and/or cds/dvds. This will cost you nothing.

Btw. . Good for you wanting to learn at a young age. Stick with you goal and benefits will be plentiful in 6, 10 or 12 years time and you will still be young.

Now get on your bike☺

Old Ray.

Ask a Question