Playing by ear

Reaction score
When I'm not learning pieces from my piano lessons, I like to play more popular tunes on my piano or keyboard, mainly just using chords and singing along.

Just playing chords can sound a bit boring, so I'd like to learn to play small parts/choruses to add to it. Does anyone have any tips for learning to play things by ear? Is it just a case of playing a few notes, deciding if it sounds right, then keep building on to the end? Is there more to it, or is it just practice practice practice?
Cheers!

tjw

Reaction score
There was an organist named Reginald Foort - When I was a beginning organist (62 years ago :) ) he had published a set of "breaks, runs, and fill-ins" which my folks bought for me.

I wasn't able to find this publication on the internet, I did find a plethora of links about the man himself, I wanted to recommend this set. I remember learning a great deal using his compositions to embellish my playing. Over the years I've thought how very kind of him to share his abilities in this way.

I can't remember who the publisher was for this product.

Reaction score
When I'm not learning pieces from my piano lessons, I like to play more popular tunes on my piano or keyboard, mainly just using chords and singing along.

Just playing chords can sound a bit boring, so I'd like to learn to play small parts/choruses to add to it. Does anyone have any tips for learning to play things by ear? Is it just a case of playing a few notes, deciding if it sounds right, then keep building on to the end? Is there more to it, or is it just practice practice practice?
Cheers!
What I find is that if you're just comping chords with your left hand behind your vocals, then just throw in quick phrases with your right hand such that they complement rather than interfere with the melody line of your vocal. Little brass stabs, guitar or piano figures, etc.

As for tips on that, I don't know. It's whatever sounds right to you.

Ask a Question