Script to add Yamaha PSR-e443 to Cubase?

SeaGtGruff

I meant to play that note!
Reaction score
It should be easy enough to modify the PSR-E433 file for the PSR-E443, but as you say it's for Cakewalk. I'd love to know how to create instrument files for other DAWs. I'm almost tempted to buy Cakewalk just for that reason. ;)

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score

SeaGtGruff

Reaction score
I've been using cakewalk products for the past two decades. And the format of their INS files has remained constant and universal across their product line in all of that time.

Yes, it's easy to create a Cakewalk instrument definition file-- I just wish it were as easy to create one for other DAWs! :) If I understand right, some DAWs can use Cakewalk instrument definition files, but I don't which ones can and can't.

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
Two which I believe can import Cakewalk INS files directly are Reaper and Anvil Studio.

For others it sometimes becomes a question of finding a conversion utility or else rolling up your sleeves and manually importing the files one entry at a time.

IIRC Steinberg is owned by Yamaha. Yet another reason why I avoid Yamaha products like the plague. In the interest of keeping their IP proprietary they yet again buck the industry standards and insist it's their way or the highway.

Then again, since we are talking a Yamaha keyboard here, it's entirely possible that they have the necessary script file already done up on their website and this entire discussion becomes moot.

Then again if you ever feel like dumping Cubase you can buy a legitimate copy of Cakewalk Music Creator 5 or 6 for under $40 and it already has every feature a home or semiprofessional recording artist could ask for. Unless you need to score a $100 Million Movie Cakewalk Sonar is loaded with features you will never need nor use.

If all you want to do is cut a demo or production music CD with a reasonably sized band or combo then Music Creator is more than powerful enough..,

Gary

SeaGtGruff

Reaction score
I don't have Cubase myself, but that utility should be helpful for people who do.

Cakewalk Music Creator 6 Touch looks very interesting! As for SONARX3-- or other DAWs-- I'm inclined to want to get the ultimate version so I get the most virtual instruments (even if I never actually use nine-tenths of them), although of course that always translates into "mo moolah," which in turn translates into "Maybe I can sweet talk someone into buying it for me for Christmas"! ;) Not that I need yet another DAW, although they are fun to collect (at least, if they're free or cheap).

I haven't tried Reaper yet, but everybody keeps talking about it, so I guess I really should check it out.

I do have Anvil Studio, but I haven't purchased any of the add-on modules yet, and I think using custom instrument files requires purchasing a module.

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
Another nice thing about the Cakewalk Music Creator Series is that Cakewalk has a very thorough set of Youtube Video Tutorials to help get you up to speed quickly.

Also as far as adding instruments goes, you can add pretty much any aftermarket VSTi plugins that you'd like anytime.

There's at least 20 or so I have bookmarked and a simple Google search on "Free VSTi Plugins" will bring them all up at the top of the list.

Also while I do own a copy of Music Creator 5 I do most of my sequencing on an ancient copy of Cakewalk Home Studio 9.01 from 1998 which still works under wine and Windows 7 today as long as you run it in Compatibility Mode as XP.

Music Creator works flawlessly under Linux under Wine as well.

Seriously, don't blow a wad on Sonar when Music Creator can pretty much handle very need you'll have. Check the tutorial vids to see what I'm talking about.

Gary

Ask a Question