Soundcard requirements?

Reaction score
Hi.

I'm looking to buy a new toy to play with and was originally looking at some Korg options before accepting I simply don't know what I'm doing and that I need to scale back my ambitions

So I'm now thinking I should start with the Arturia KeyLab MKII, try to learn which sounds I like using the presets, play around with those for a while before maybe expanding into the full software versions of specific synths. Eventually I hope to buy some hardware but u then I'll have a clearer idea of what I'm looking for...

That brings me to the question of soundcards. My PC has a realtek card which I assume should be replaced in order to get the best out of the Analog software - does anyone have any recommendations for minimum specs?

Many thanks

Reaction score
Thank you for responding, and that's good to know.

Would you recommend an audio interface for guitar or vocals?

I was thinking that I can just run the audio outs into the microphone jack on the PC but I'm unsure if I should be using an interface!

Reaction score
I'll take a look, but what do these do in a nutshell?

I'm trying to understand why just using the line in / microphone jack is a bad idea (I know it is, but more why)

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
With a mixer you can add as many instruments, mono or stereo as you have channels available. so, you could add a mic or two, a guitar input and/or a bass and a couple of keyboards with 10 or 12 channels available.The Mackies have built in sound cards so they act as an interface a soundcard and a mixer all in one.

Guitar output levels are in microvolts. Line levels are in millivolts, Adding a mixer to your inputs allows you to mix and match multiple devices with different impedances and feed them into a single stereo mix.

Gary ;)

Ask a Question