Which One: Yamaha or Casio?

Reaction score
A few days ago I placed a post asking which would be a better keyboard, between three Yamaha's. It was recommended to me that I look into the Casio WK series. In doing so, I came across a Casio CTK-5000 which looks like a decent keyboard. So, now my two choices are narrowed down to:

1. Yamaha PSR-295: http://usa.yamaha.com/products/musi...boards/portable_keyboards/psr-295/?mode=model
2. Casio CTK-5000: http://www.casio-intl.com/asia-mea/en/emi/high_grade/ctk5000/

For a little context, I am getting it for someone. She plays in a church band on Sundays, and the sound would be roughly kind of Enya/Coldplay. She is an intermediate player. The church has a nice keyboard of its own, but she is looking for something to work on at home for practice, leisure, etc. Also, the price point we are looking at is around $175 used.

Also, I am wondering what the difference is between the Casio CTK and WK series. My guess is that the WK series is a higher grade?

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks!

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
The CTK series are all 61 key keyboards. The WKs are all 73 or 76 key keyboards.

As to the choice between the Yamaha and the Casio, that's very much a subjective thing. Casio tends to give you more bells and whistles for the buck and brighter, more video gamey and synth tones, while Yamaha has a more realistic acoustic instrument sound set.

Seriously your smartest move would be to walk into a Best Buy or Radio Shack with a few units on display and audition them for yourself.

The Y_man

Reaction score
Seriously your smartest move would be to walk into a Best Buy or Radio Shack with a few units on display and audition them for yourself.

Except that the PSR-295 is a discontinued legacy unit.... have to find someone selling a used one and then go audition it.

Not sure if important but the 295 doesn't have pitch bend (not that I ever use it much in my style of playing)

The Y-man

Ask a Question