Yamaha Motif xs6 bad rattling "school bell" or "fire alarm" sound

Reaction score
When I hold down multiple keys (3 or more), I get a rattling and ringing sound that resembles a school bell or for alarm (fast "ding ding ding" sound").

It's a recurring problem, and multiple repairs haven't fixed it yet.

Reaction score
Welcome to the forum! :)

Sorry to hear about the issues you've been having - you mention multiple repairs, what have you tried so far?

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
First a couple of questions.

1) does it occur with all voices or only with certain patches?

2) does it occur with only headphones or only speakers or with both?

3) could you possibly record the sounds and post them on soundcloud with a link to this thread?

Gary ;)

Reaction score
Thanks, everybody!

Full disclosure, the keyboard is actually a band member's, and I'm posting on his behalf. I'll try and get as many details right as I can.

We've taken to a local repair tech (only guy in town) more than twice. I believe he's just been cleaning out dust, cat hair, etc under the hood and where the keys actually trigger the sounds/patches.

It occurs with most voices, and it occurs through headphones and through the main outs to PA. It only seems to be triggered when holding down 3 or more keys though. Single notes are generally unaffected.

I'll try to get a recording of the sound up soon.

SeaGtGruff

I meant to play that note!
Reaction score
Apparently he needs to keep the cat(s) from sleeping on top of the Motif, and/or to stop petting the cat(s) while playing the Motif. :) And if he doesn't have a case for the Motif, it sounds like he should get one so he can keep any dust, hair, etc. from getting inside of the Motif when it's being stored.

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
Actually, tell your keyboard guy to backup his settings and then perform a factory reset or Initialize procedure as outlined in his manual.

If the problem persists then it is definitely hardware.

Gary ;)

Reaction score
It took a while, but here's the video showing the problem. Any ideas what could be causing this "fire alarm" type sound?

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
Seems to me that it's a firmware problem.

Check Yamaha's website and install or reinstall the latest firmware.

If you still get it after that then contact Yamaha support and email them the video along with a description of the problem and the steps you've taken so far to repair it.

It doesn't seem to sound like any hardware failure that I've ever heard.

Gary ;)

Rayblewit

Love Music / Love Life
Reaction score
Wow! If dust and hair is the cause of that, you have just alerted me to put a cover on. My keys are never covered 24/7.

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
Dust and hair and crud is the number one cause of failed or stuck or loud notes.

There are two tiny rubber suction cup membrane switches under each velocity sensitive key.

When you leave a keyboard uncovered dust gets sucked into these cups on the upstroke and clogs the switching mechanism so that one or both of the switches fail.

Dust is definitely NOT the cause in this case. More likely a corrupt firmware.

All the same, whenever a keyboard is not in use it SHOULD be kept either covered or else sealed in a road case.

Gary ;)

SeaGtGruff

I meant to play that note!
Reaction score
It almost sounds like some kind of rapid arpeggio effect, except it doesn't sound like it's using the notes in the chord being played.

Rayblewit

Love Music / Love Life
Reaction score
Hey CowboyNQ, Gary and others. Thanks for your good advice and wisdom. I bought a dust cover and just fitted it. quite cheap too bieng plastic and shaped around the front, back and ends designed especially for 61 keys models. Cheers.

Reaction score
When I hold down multiple keys (3 or more), I get a rattling and ringing sound that resembles a school bell or for alarm (fast "ding ding ding" sound").

It's a recurring problem, and multiple repairs haven't fixed it yet.

I'm a little late to the party but I have the same problem with my Yamaha Motif XS7. I know the key mechanism is the problem because if you connect it to a Midi controller it sounds fine. The problem started when the weather became humid so I suspect a combination of dust and humidity short circuiting some critical connections. Let me know if you ever did find a solution.

Reaction score
I'm a little late to the party but I have the same problem with my Yamaha Motif XS7. I know the key mechanism is the problem because if you connect it to a Midi controller it sounds fine. The problem started when the weather became humid so I suspect a combination of dust and humidity short circuiting some critical connections. Let me know if you ever did find a solution.
Problem fixed, that was the problem, all you had to do is clean the electronic print surface underneath the keys. Also, remove the rubber pads on that print so you can clean underneath.

Ask a Question