Yamaha PSR S500 to Synthesizer

Reaction score
Hi Music lovers :cool:,
Good morning.

I have a PSR S500 arranger workstation. I would like to have lots of synt sounds from it. Since it is not a synthesizer, I would like to add some synt module / rack to it .. so that I can use the same workstation keyboard as a synth also.. instead of buying a separate synth, I think this would work.

Please help me understand if it is possible and also please let me know the difference between the synth module and rack ( eg Yamaha Motif rack ).

Also please tell me whether I can produce synthesizer sounds by adding new device to my PSR S500 or by connecting to a new software? please suggest me some hardware/software which can be added to my PSR S500.

Thank you in advance and I appreciate all your help on this.
Have a wonderful musical day.

Yours.. Venky. :)

Reaction score
Your keyboard doesn't support any kind of expansion at all, so you can't add on a synthesizer expansion board (basically, a small circuit board that adds functionality to your keyboard). You've got a few options, depending on whether you just want to add synthesized sounds to what you can play with the PSR or whether you want an actual synthesizer to create your own sounds.

One is that you buy the synthesizer of your choice, and either play it directly or control it by MIDI from your PSR S500. I don't know if the PSR S500 can record audio from external sources though, so you might need to record both your synth and your PSR on your computer (if you even want to record at all; if you only do live performance, you probably won't care).

Another option is to buy another keyboard that has some synth sounds on it, if all you're after is some new sounds and you don't care about controlling them.

The last option, depending on how good the sounds are on your PSR S50, would be to buy the Motif rack (or one of the newer Motif generation racks, the ES or XS) and buy and add one or two optional synth expansions.

Reaction score
Thank you

Hi Kanthos:),
I really appreciate your quick response to my thread. Thank you so much for the time and effort you put in to provide me with the possible solutions.
Have a wonderful time. .. With best wishes ... Venky.:)

Ask a Question