Yamaha PSR E463/EW410 Delete User Style

Reaction score
I own a Yamaha PSR EW410 keyboard.
I uploaded a style file to it by plugging in a USB stick, so now I've got the style on the keyboard.
How can I delete it?
Is there any way to delete the selected user style without proceeding to a factory reset?
Thanks

SeaGtGruff

I meant to play that note!
Reaction score
I am attaching a zipped file that contains an "empty" style from my PSR-E433. It's not completely empty, because I think it does contain a basic drum beat. But when I clear all of the User Styles on my PSR-E433 and then load just one single User Style, the remaining unfilled User Style slots all have this "No data" style in them, and I've taken that "No data" style and made a style file from it.

Download and unzip the attached file, then put the unzipped contents ("No data .STY") on your USB stick. Then try loading this "No data .STY" file to the User Style number that you want to clear. Let me know the outcome. :)

Attachments

• No_data_STY.zip
    353 bytes · Views: 1,030
Reaction score
Hello!
Thanks a lot! I loaded the style in to the user style I wanted to delete and it worked great!
Thanks a lot for the time you took to help me out. It made my day.
Best regards

SeaGtGruff

Reaction score
I’m glad it worked for you! Now you can “delete” styles from specific User Style slots without having to clear your keyboard’s entire memory. :)

How do you like your PSR-EW410? I have the previous three models— EW400, E443, and E433– but the EW410 has some improvements over the EW400.

Reaction score
About the PSR EW410, I like it very much. Yamaha added some new styles, there's a "Quick Sampling" mode that allows you to input sound through the auxiliary jack and then sample it on the keyboard. They also added what is called "Groove Creator" mode. It's great for making music. It uses different sections.
The speakers on this keyboard are each 12 watts, with 12 CM bass reflexes, so it's sounds great without the need of external speakers.
Now you have to be careful because the smaller version of this keyboard (PSR E463, 61-key) only has 2 speakers that are 6 watts each.
If you need any more details, please feel free to contact me.

SeaGtGruff

Reaction score
The "Groove Creator" mode isn't actually new; Yamaha simply renamed it, possibly because it was felt that the old name wasn't self-explanatory enough. On the prior models it was known as "DJ Patterns." It first appeared on the PSR-E433, but with fewer patterns (or "grooves"). They've added more patterns with each new model:

PSR-E433 -- 10 "patterns" (5 sections each)
PSR-E443 -- 20 "patterns" (5 sections each)
PSR-E453/PSR-EW400 -- 25 "patterns" (5 sections each)
PSR-E463/PSR-EW410 -- 35 "grooves" (5 sections each)

Reaction score
Thanks! I just learnt something!
Also, the PSR EW410 has separate Left + Right sound outputs, while the PSR E463 doesn't have those...

Reaction score
I am attaching a zipped file that contains an "empty" style from my PSR-E433. It's not completely empty, because I think it does contain a basic drum beat. But when I clear all of the User Styles on my PSR-E433 and then load just one single User Style, the remaining unfilled User Style slots all have this "No data" style in them, and I've taken that "No data" style and made a style file from it.

Download and unzip the attached file, then put the unzipped contents ("No data .STY") on your USB stick. Then try loading this "No data .STY" file to the User Style number that you want to clear. Let me know the outcome. :)

Hi Sir, i have PSR-EW400, but can not play most style that i download from internet, can this ew400 use PSR-S Series's Style?

SeaGtGruff

Reaction score
The PSR-S models can play either SFF1 or SFF2 style files. When you modify a style on a PSR-S model using its Style Creator feature and then save the changes, the style is saved in the SFF2 format, even if the style file was originally in the SFF1 format. This means most style files for the PSR-S models will probably-- but not necessarily-- be in the SFF2 format.

The PSR-E models can play SFF1 style files, but cannot play SFF2 style files.

SFF2 style files can be converted to SFF1 style files using a free utility from Jørgen Sørensen called "Style Format 2 Converter":

Converting SFF2 style files to SFF1 style files does not guarantee that they'll then be usable on a PSR-E model, but it's a first step.

There have been a few different variations of the SFF1 format. I think the current PSR-E models should be able to play the latest variations, but older models might not be able to; I really don't know. If necessary, SFF1 style files can be converted to an older SFF1 variation using a free utility from Jørgen Sørensen called "Style Old Format Converter":

Again, converting SFF1 style files to an older variation does not guarantee that they'll then be usable on a PSR-E model.

Older SFF1 style files usually contained two style variations-- A and B-- but newer SFF1 style files usually contain four style variations-- A, B, C, and D. The PSR-E models cannot play the C and D variations, but the presence of those variations in a style file doesn't necessarily keep it from working on a PSR-E model-- although this might depend on the specific model; I really don't know.

Furthermore, there is a size limit on style files that the PSR-E models can load. For the 400-level models, the maximum style file size is about 50kB, but the exact size varies by model. I really don't know what the maximum style file size is for the 200- and 300-level models.

In any case, style files that contain C and D variations can be "remixed," either to remove the unusable C and D variations and thereby reduce the file size, or to shuffle the variations around to replace the A or B variation with the C or D variation so it can be used. This can be done using a free utility from Jørgen Sørensen called "Style ReMixer":

Again, this still does not guarantee that the remixed style files will be usable.

Even if a style file was already in the SFF1 format and contained only A and B variations, it's a good idea to "revoice" it for your particular keyboard model. This can be a two-step process-- first, replace any voices and drum kits that don't exist on your model with voices and drum kits that do; and second, replace any GM or XG voices with better-sounding panel voices if appropriate ones are available. This can be done using a free utility from Jørgen Sørensen called "Style Revoicer":

Note that the PSR-E models don't have all of the features found on the PSR-S models, so there may be some CC and SysEx MIDI events in a style file that are problematic for a PSR-E model. You can examine the MIDI events in a style file, and change or delete them as needed, using a free utility from Michael P. Bedesem and Etienne Volbragt called "MixMaster":

Reaction score
Dear Sir
what a very good and clear information to know.
thank you very much for your reply
i will try to use the sff2 > sff1 converter

once again, thanks

Reaction score
I own a Yamaha PSR EW410 keyboard.
I uploaded a style file to it by plugging in a USB stick, so now I've got the style on the keyboard.
How can I delete it?
Is there any way to delete the selected user style without proceeding to a factory reset?
Thanks
Yes, thanks for your response but i have to delete the style stored into Bank which is used to change the track quickly,

Whenever i try to change the tune in my keyboard, style also gets changed.

Let me explain,

I have 5 register memory option wherein i can register 5 different tones so that wherever required i can change the tone accordingly but while changing tone my track also gets changed. It is not about uploading any track using USB or laptop

Please help me as i have got frustrated and stop playing

SeaGtGruff

Reaction score
Okay, I see that I mistook what you were trying to do.

To create a Registration which will change the Voice setup in mid-song without affecting the current Style setup, go ahead and make your Voice selections, including making any changes to the default Voice settings-- that is, Voice Volume (M.Volume, D.Volume, or S.Volume), Voice Octave, Voice Pan, and so on.

Then press the SONG button so the panel is displaying the number and name of a Song. Go to the Tempo and be sure it is set to whatever you need it to be.

Now save everything to a Registration. When you recall that Registration, the Voices will change as desired, but any Style that you're playing with should not be affected.

If you've already created a Registration but need to clear the Style Number that got saved to it, select the desired Bank and recall the Registration. Then press SONG, check the Tempo, and save the Registration again.

Reaction score
Is it possible we can have quick call to fix the issue ?
If you advise can we have Skype call ?

Reaction score
Hi! Thanks for your great thread, how to delete user styles. It is very difficult to find the right tutorial. So, I loaded the USB Stick with the "No Data" Style in my Yamaha Keyboard PSR E 473, to get rid of 2 styles. Unfortunately, I have now idea, how to load them to the user style numbers, I want to delete. May I asked you to explain it please?
For your help thanks so very much in advance.

Reaction score

Hello!
Thanks a lot! I loaded the style in to the user style I wanted to delete and it worked great!
Thanks a lot for the time you took to help me out. It made my day.
Best regards
I have the same problem, but how do I load the no data style, in to the user style, to get rid off the previous style, please? Thanks for your help in advance!
Best,
Arabelle

Ask a Question