Yamaha question

Reaction score
At present I have a Casio 6200, I am thinking of upgrading, I have been looking at the Yamaha 650 or 750 models, but one thing that puzzles me is that they dont seem to have the tone layer function, that the Casios do, This is a feature I use a lot, the Casio 7600 has this feature, would I be better off sticking with Casio, or have I read the online manual wrongly, and the Yamahas do indeed have this. thanks for any help.

SeaGtGruff

I meant to play that note!
Reaction score
Yamaha keyboards have this ability, too. Some models call this the "Dual" voice option and refer to the two layers as the "Main Voice" and the "Dual Voice." But other models-- including the two you mentioned-- refer to the two layers as the "R1" or "Right 1" voice and the "R2" or "Right 2" voice.

By the way, if you're thinking about buying a PSR-S650 or PSR-S750 then you might want to wait a little bit and get a PSR-S670 or PSR-S770 instead (or a PSR-S970 if you can afford it), because those are the latest models and they've just been released in several countries. They don't seem to available yet in the USA (if you're in the USA), but they should be available very soon now. On the other hand, if you feel like you don't need the "latest/greatest" model, you could probably pick up a new or used S650 or S750 at a reduced price, since stores will be trying to get rid of their existing stock to make room for the S670 and S770, and people will be trying to sell their older models so they can move up to the S670, S770, or S970.

Reaction score
Yamaha keyboards have this ability, too. Some models call this the "Dual" voice option and refer to the two layers as the "Main Voice" and the "Dual Voice." But other models-- including the two you mentioned-- refer to the two layers as the "R1" or "Right 1" voice and the "R2" or "Right 2" voice.

By the way, if you're thinking about buying a PSR-S650 or PSR-S750 then you might want to wait a little bit and get a PSR-S670 or PSR-S770 instead (or a PSR-S970 if you can afford it), because those are the latest models and they've just been released in several countries. They don't seem to available yet in the USA (if you're in the USA), but they should be available very soon now. On the other hand, if you feel like you don't need the "latest/greatest" model, you could probably pick up a new or used S650 or S750 at a reduced price, since stores will be trying to get rid of their existing stock to make room for the S670 and S770, and people will be trying to sell their older models so they can move up to the S670, S770, or S970.
Many thanks for your helpful reply, I am in the U.K., so perhaps the newer models will be available here as soon as they appear in the U.S,

SeaGtGruff

Reaction score
Many thanks for your helpful reply, I am in the U.K., so perhaps the newer models will be available here as soon as they appear in the U.S,

Actually, I think they might already be available in the UK!

SeaGtGruff

Reaction score
Yeah, it seems like Yamaha is making the USA wait until after the rest of the world has it. Or maybe they've been holding back from the USA so they can "announce" the new PSR-S models at the 2015 Summer NAMM in a few more days?

Ask a Question