A non keyboardist needing a good keyboard (yet simple) for composing. What to go for?

Reaction score
Hi! I am in search of a simple, probably 61 keys keyboard, mostly for composing and arranging. I am a bass player (and luthier of string instruments), so as much as I am not a keyboard player, I am quite picky with sound quality. But don't know anything about keyboards, digital pianos etc. Can you help me?

I would like to get something simple, to have at home, to use it mostly for composing and arranging (but eventual gigging can happen). Somethings I have decided are:
  • a do not want to need a computer connected to it to play (I don't want a midi controller, but if the keyboard has that added functionality, great)
  • I will mostly use piano, electric piano (rhodes, etc) and organ sounds.
  • built-in speakers would be nice, but I can connect them to a PA also (which means I should also get a all-in-one PA speaker combo, or similar)

I am located in Sweden, and I have found some used Nord Electro 2 61 for sale for around 580e. I think spec-wise they seem perfect, they look good for staying in the living room hehe, but it is still quite pricey considering I would still need to get an amp.

Am I on the right path? Should I go another way? What else should I look at?
Please help a lost bass player in a keyboard world :)

Thank you so much!

Ad

Advertisements

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
Being as you are in Sweden the Nord is probably a safe bet for you.

It's a top notch sounding instrument that ticks all the boxes on your wish list.

I'm really not sure if a Roland Juno DS61 would be cheaper in Sweden but if you want to save some money it's worth looking at.

Either way I think you are definitely on the right path.

Gary ;)

Reaction score
Welcome.

Love Nord’s and the Electro 2 you quote looks to fit your needs.

Word of warning, it has been around for a good few years so please do check it out thoroughly, a very early model could be having component wear and the dreaded dry joints.

If you have to buy first then do arrange for a no fuss return.

If you want built in speakers then an Arranger could be for you, check out a Korg PA700.

A couple of powered speakers connected up to a keyboard will provide a cheaper option to a full blown PA system.

Ad

Advertisements

Reaction score
Although more than 61 keys, for piano/EP/organ, I'd also look at Numa Compact 2X. The Nord will be better on organ, but I think the Numa will be better on piano/EP. (If your organ need are minimal, you might even get by with the cheaper Numa Compact 2, which just has some organ presets instead of fully adjustable drawbars.)

Ask a Question