A question regarding custom midi note elimination programming

Reaction score
I record on Steinberg’s Cubase, now version 7.5, and would like to know:
Is there any way to program a midi-event rule that automatically eliminates other midi notes that happen to end up on the same beat/ position within a instrument track in real-time.
For example:
I always program drum tracks with the kick and snare first. I then add high-hats etc. on the second pass in the loop. Likewise, I record tom-fills the same way as I’m just not coordinated enough to finger drum like David Haze and do it all at the same time. So, to give it a more realistic and syncopated result, I go back afterwards and manually edit-out the hat-hits that are grid-aligned with the snare-hits in the track. I do the same with the toms where I prefer the toms to sound independently. In a perfect world, the "rule" would automatically default to high-hat hits over snares and toms etc. over everything else.

Thanks for your consideration and any insight as to whether this is possible or how to program it would be greatly appreciated.

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
The only things that come to my mind are either possibly using portamento in your patch design or else some kind of custom perl script or program to filter out the notes from the finished track according to a user defined formula.

Gary

Ask a Question