Action for CTK-7200?

Reaction score
For me 61 keys was the first clue. I know of no 61 key action that is hammer/weighted action. Undoubtedly the action will be a springy synth action. I think when they say 61 Piano-style keys they are trying to tell you the shape of the key is a diving board key, which is a key with a lip on it like a piano key, as opposed to a waterfall key that you would find on a hammond organ console.

Reaction score
hi
I have a 7200 and they are not weighted keys , i am no expert put they are just normal type keyboard keys. same feel as the roland i had. you can change the respones of the keys in the function menu on thr keyboard. hope this helps

Reaction score
bachfantasia

delaware dave is correct. The CTK-7200 keys are "piano" type keys with fully closed fronts and lips on the front edge. That is to say, you can not see or reach underneath the keys like you can on a typical synth keyboard. They are not weighted, but that extra plastic gives them a little more substantial "feel" (heft) than those of a typical low-end synth.

Reaction score
bachfantasia

delaware dave is correct. The CTK-7200 keys are "piano" type keys with fully closed fronts and lips on the front edge. That is to say, you can not see or reach underneath the keys like you can on a typical synth keyboard. They are not weighted, but that extra plastic gives them a little more substantial "feel" (heft) than those of a typical low-end synth.

Would they then be considered soft touch?

Reaction score
bachfantasia

Not sure what you mean by "soft touch". I do not think I have ever seen or heard that term applied to a keyboard before. They certainly do not feel like a weighted keyboard, but they also do not have the feel of a bottom end "toy". They are more of a typical "synth" feel, but keyboard feel is very subjective, just like keyboard sound - one man's piece of junk is another man's chest of treasure. No matter how many words of explanation are used, you are not going to know if it is for you until you actually try it. If you do not have access to one to try out, I strongly recommend purchasing one from a dealer with a very sound return policy.

Reaction score
bachfantasia

Not sure what you mean by "soft touch". I do not think I have ever seen or heard that term applied to a keyboard before. They certainly do not feel like a weighted keyboard, but they also do not have the feel of a bottom end "toy". They are more of a typical "synth" feel, but keyboard feel is very subjective, just like keyboard sound - one man's piece of junk is another man's chest of treasure. No matter how many words of explanation are used, you are not going to know if it is for you until you actually try it. If you do not have access to one to try out, I strongly recommend purchasing one from a dealer with a very sound return policy.

Not sure either exactly about the soft touch. I think Yamaha advertises this a lot on their products as Graded Soft Touch (GST), not sure if this is the same thing or not and I have also seen it as an option on some of the retail websites, such as the following options on one of the retail websties:
(Mini Keys; Soft-Touch Piano Action; Soft-Touch Synth Action; Weighted Hammer Piano Action; Weighted Synth Action)

Are you familiar with all those different action types?

Reaction score
Oh ! OK !

Now I know what you are talking about. No ! The Casio CTK/WK units do not use anything like the Yamaha Graded Soft Touch technology, and I do not know if they use an equivalent to it in any of their stage piano's. In a weighted synth action keyboard, they actually glue metal weights to the under sides of the keys to add some heft to them to eliminate some of that springy toy feeling. I don't think any of the Casio boards use weighted synth action. Those boards are notorious for the cement drying out after a few years and the weights dropping off into the interior of the keyboard. I even know some guys that tried converting their own boards to weighted action, ultimately with the same result after a few years. Weighted Hammer Action keyboards actually have the same mechanism that is inside of a real piano. The hammer does not actually strike a string. It's just there to give the feel of a real piano. Almost every stage piano manufacturer has at least one Hammer Action unit to offer. Of the key actions you listed above, the Casio CTK/WK units do not use any of them. For the most part, they are just low-end synth/workstation actions with a little better feel because of the little extra plastic in the keys to give them a little more heft. They certainly would be very nice candidates for weighted synth actions.

The Y_man

Reaction score
The "piano shaped" (as opposed to "organ shaped" keys can make palming and organ style gliss rather difficult if you are into that sort of thing.

The Y-man

Ask a Question