Adding new sounds, is this possible?

Reaction score
Hi

I can probably detect the laughter from here, but, I have a Studio Logic NumaCompact keyboard with the crappiest set of sounds you've ever heard, but a perfect key bed action for me, so I usually end up midi ing up to sound modules or a second 60 note synth just for the piano sounds. My question therefore is, is it possible to swap out the Numas piano synthesis for something a lot better, or can something else be physically added with its own buttons/controls etc (ie the relevant electronics/PCB from a synth or piano)? And if so, where would such geniuses exist?

Many Thanks

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
Unless your Numa does sampling my guess is that you are S*** Outta Luck.

Still, how hard is it to keep a Roland Sound Canvas or a Ketron SD1 or SD2 hooked up to the MIDI port and keep the MIDI Local set to OFF?

A "Sound Transplant" is not something even the most seasoned electrical engineers would attempt.

Short of finding some mad scientist type hardware hacker at the risk of butchering your keyboard beyond repair I would not even attempt this if I were you.

Gary ;)

Reaction score
Hi Gary
Thanks for your reply, - it was just a shot in the dark but pretty much what I was expecting, just wanted to see if it was a (relatively) simple job. Looks like Im sticking with what I've got!

Cheers

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
Motif and Triton racks don't sell for cheap anymore on ebay. Typically I see them selling in the $450 to $550 range PLUS shipping.

You can usually find cheaper deals locally on craigslist if you make a point of searching the classifieds daily.

Every now and then someone lets a slightly scratched gem go for $250 to $300.

I find ebay is almost always overpriced these days.

Gary ;)

Ask a Question