Adding registration memory functionality to ctk601

Reaction score
Hi,

I want to use a ctk601 I have for an arts project I'm doing, however I've found the 601 doesn't have the registration memory functionality that comes with the models 651 up, so it's not possible to store keyboard set ups and recall them. I would really like functionality for the project however I'd also like to stick with using the 601 - I have a ctk691 but it doesn't suit my needs for a variety of reasons.

So, does anyone know if there is a way to add set up memory functionality to the 601, either by midi or modification? I'm comfortable with opening it up and even modifying boards if that will do the trick.

Any ideas welcome,
Thanks.

Reaction score
Welcome

Just wanted to say Hi, and sorry I have zero knowledge of the techincal aspects of your excellent vintage Casio.

Good luck getting it modified to suit your requirements

Reaction score
Welcome

Just wanted to say Hi, and sorry I have zero knowledge of the techincal aspects of your excellent vintage Casio.

Good luck getting it modified to suit your requirements

Thanks. It's the quality yet simplicity of the sounds and the rhythms that make the 601 work so well for me. I bought a 691 for the registration memory function but found that the rhythms and sounds are not so much to my liking, everything is a bit more 'polished', almost overdone I would say. In particular the rhythm set seems to be a whole different engine.

I'm researching the 651 and trying to find one of those cheap as I think it might have the same rhythm engine as the 601. Then I hopefully I could get the older sound of the 601 but with some built in registration memory banks. That or someone can help me with setting up some banks for the 601. Will see.

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
You might want to look around for a simple patch librarian software that can set up each voice on the proper channel.

For rhythms you'd need a MIDI sequencer of some sort.

It's probably doable with a computer or tablet and MIDI software but you'll have to do a lot of homework to achieve the results you are hoping for,

Gary ;)

Reaction score
Thanks Gary. I thought any solution might be rather convoluted.

Think I'm going to investigate using the ctk691 again instead but look at how I can get the rhythms I miss from the 601 into it. That or the 651 might work.

Ask a Question