Akai MPK Mini VS Axiom 25

Reaction score
Hey guys!
I am new into electronic music and i wanna buy myself a mini midi keyboard to experiment and make my own dubstep and drum n bass tunes on my laptop!

The thing is i am between the Akai MPK Mini and the Axiom 25 from m-audio which i can get used for 90euros!

What do you recommend? Any help and opinion would be much appreciated

p.s. I was told that i might need a better soundcard on my laptop since its 4 years old. Is that really necessary, can't i just use the built in soundcard and still work lets say with softwares such as ableton live or reason?

Cheers!!
Alexios

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
I own an M-Audio Oxygen 49 and while I realize it's a step down from the Axiom I have to say I'm really not impressed with M-Audio keyboards. I also own an M-Audio Venom which I picked up for cheap last year but lists for $500.

Both of them drop and skip notes like nobody's business and the Oxygen is unplayable unless I switch note velocity off entirely.

My guess is that you'd be better off with the Akai if it will be your only controller.

As for adding a sound/MIDI interface to your laptop, it really depends on a lot of things. What OS you're using, how much crap you have loaded into memory resident status and what software you plan to run with it.

My advice is to test it out with your current setup and only bother upgrading if your music demands it.

Personally I run a 4 year old Acer laptop with the Oxygen plugged directly into the USB and like I said, I found my workaround was to turn off note velocity. Then again I run Linux on this with the JACK audio connection kit so my software is properly configured to run MIDI.

Then again I don't do any of my serious work on this laptop either. Downstairs I have an Acer desktop also running Linux that I use as my REAL audio workstation.

I only use the laptop for practice and fooling around to flesh out musical ideas before committing them to my main rig.

Hope this helps,
Gary

Reaction score
Hey Gary! My laptop is an Acer too btw!

I think i ll test the axiom25 first as you said since the guy who is selling it is in a nearby town and see if i am happy, then decide!

My budget is around 100euro that's why i chose these 2, except if you have something better to recommend

Thanks a bunch for your time!
Snorlex

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
If you have an opportunity to test it then by all means do so. When you test it though, check and make sure that velocity hasn't already been switched off. Like I said, that's my main beef with M-Audio keyboards.

Good luck,
Gary

Ask a Question