Another newbie

Reaction score
Hi, thank you for accepting me to the forum. I am now in my eighties, and I sometimes entertain in a retirement home where my daughter works. Fortunately I still live at home and keep in good health. I have my Technics KN720 keyboard which I've had for yonks, but it still plays OK when I rattle out the sing-along stuff!!
I look forward to getting some help on the forums.

Rayblewit

Love Music / Love Life
Reaction score
Hello @Jandanz .

Nice to see another neighbour here.
You kiwi; Me aussie, :) . . are very close neighbours.

The retirement villagers would certainly enjoy your playing I am sure. My ambition is to play in front of retirees too at my local village. I could use some tips as to how to break the ice and play my first gig.

Where in EnZed you reside?

Ray .. Melbourne

Reaction score
Hi Ray,
yes we’re just across the ditch, hope you haven’t been affected by the bush fires, and got some rain. We are very dry here in Nelson in the South Island.
Playing for retirees is OK, but older people just love to sing along. I find it hard to sing when I am playing, so I play a bracket of old popular stuff, Bye Bye Blackbird, Sunny Side Of The Street etc. and then I join them in a sing along (I pick the songs and have the lyrics in front of me.) . Then I might stand up in the middle of the group and tell a couple of jokes, nothing too risque. Then more songs or just any music I like, no lyrics. I often close with We’ll Meet Again, I just play for happy hour, it’s good fun.
But you need to interact with your audience. In the retirement home, they either wander off, or nod off when they get bored!
Cheers, John

Rayblewit

Love Music / Love Life
Reaction score
Thanks mate! I appreciate your advice!
they either wander off, or nod off when they get bored!
LOL! Im my case they would all go to their rooms and I would be playing to myself.
New York, New York
Strangers in the Night
Memory
A Kiss to Build a Dream On
Dream
Smile
Volare
and more. .
. . not a bad set for the oldies eh!

Been on a cruise ship to South Island. Did not get to Nelson but loved the east coast from Milford Sound all the way up to Wellington.
Been on a road trip to North Island as well . . loved the Coramandel and Rotorua and Bay of Islands.
Awesome country . . will be back again!

Cheers Ray
PS we escaped the fires . . but smoke is lingering much of the east and south coast.

Reaction score
Thanks mate! I appreciate your advice!

LOL! Im my case they would all go to their rooms and I would be playing to myself.
New York, New York
Strangers in the Night
Memory
A Kiss to Build a Dream On
Dream
Smile
Volare
and more. .
. . not a bad set for the oldies eh!

Been on a cruise ship to South Island. Did not get to Nelson but loved the east coast from Milford Sound all the way up to Wellington.
Been on a road trip to North Island as well . . loved the Coramandel and Rotorua and Bay of Islands.
Awesome country . . will be back again!

Cheers Ray
PS we escaped the fires . . but smoke is lingering much of the east and south coast.
We've had a few cruise ships into Nelson this year, it's becoming a popular destination. Always welcome, unless they're unfortunate to have coronavirus on board. I want to sort out my playlists for my next gig on 22nd Feb, I hope to show some lyrics on the big TV screen in their lounge.
Cheers, John

Reaction score
Thanks for your welcome, Biggles. I came from Chelmsford, Essex in 1964, have been back 3 times since then.
Cheers, John

Worked in Chelmsford briefly 20 years ago setting up a contract with the a major employer that was based there.

Enduring memory of the place was the horrendous traffic jams.

Once in the City is was and presumably still is a very historic and important place in British history.

Reaction score
Hi, thank you for accepting me to the forum. I am now in my eighties, and I sometimes entertain in a retirement home where my daughter works. Fortunately I still live at home and keep in good health. I have my Technics KN720 keyboard which I've had for yonks, but it still plays OK when I rattle out the sing-along stuff!!
I look forward to getting some help on the forums.

Hi! i am also playing now 62y of age, - i still have my Technics KN800, and that came propably on the market around 1990, - though i dont use it anymore, its still a very good sounding board - i bought a new Roland couple of years ago, i have ben a jazzmusician on drums most of my life, but have always had keyboard playing on the side, - i also have a Yamaha MX49 synth, that have many good sounds, - the Roland i have is the Roland EA7, - probably Rolands last arranger keyboard on the market, - scince i have not seen any more coming from them, it has had a pretty steap learning curve, but it works ok now, - i had a Roland VA7 before this one, - but sold it, because it became to heavy! - this new EA7 weigs only 8kg, and thats next to nothing, - me and my wife sing and play in a small church at times, nice to have you onboard the forums! - i am not so active, - but if something interesting subject comes up here, - i will read, - all the best from, Levi in sweden

Last edited:
Reaction score
Worked in Chelmsford briefly 20 years ago setting up a contract with the a major employer that was based there.

Enduring memory of the place was the horrendous traffic jams.

Once in the City is was and presumably still is a very historic and important place in British history.
Most of the historic buildings (and much newer ones) have been demolished to make it a dormitory city for London workers. Though the river with swans, and park is very pretty.

Reaction score
Hi! i am also playing now 62y of age, - i still have my Technics KN800, and that came propably on the market around 1990, - though i dont use it anymore, its still a very good sounding board - i bought a new Roland couple of years ago, i have ben a jazzmusician on drums most of my life, but have always had keyboard playing on the side, - i also have a Yamaha MX49 synth, that have many good sounds, - the Roland i have is the Roland EA7, - probably Rolands last arranger keyboard on the market, - scince i have not seen any more coming from them, it has had a pretty steap learning curve, but it works ok now, - i had a Roland VA7 before this one, - but sold it, because it became to heavy! - this new EA7 weigs only 8kg, and thats next to nothing, - me and my wife sing and play in a small church at times, nice to have you onboard the forums! - i am not so active, - but if something interesting subject comes up here, - i will read, - all the best from, Levi in sweden
Hi Levi, thanks for your comments. The old Technics had/have a very good sound. If I was younger and had more time, I would probably look for something else, but will make do with the KN720!
i used to play the double bass in a dance band many years ago. One of the few hobbies that you get paid for, can eat the food provided, and the drink, enjoy playing and the good company etc.!! And we played on the local radio station a few times.
Best wishes, John

Reaction score
Hi Levi, thanks for your comments. The old Technics had/have a very good sound. If I was younger and had more time, I would probably look for something else, but will make do with the KN720!
i used to play the double bass in a dance band many years ago. One of the few hobbies that you get paid for, can eat the food provided, and the drink, enjoy playing and the good company etc.!! And we played on the local radio station a few times.
Best wishes, John

I actually think your KN720 is newer than the KN800! - think it came out much later, and the Technics boards all sound very good, Levi
(the KN700 came out before my KN800, and was completely without any display, my friend had that)

Ask a Question