Back to roots - from a hiatus when everything was mechanical

Reaction score
Clustered File System Developer on LINUX, AIX. RPI, Home Assistant, Maker

I'm returning to mechanical keyboard roots. I cut my teeth on IBM, Burroughs (!), Sperry (!), and other systems and keyboards.

My favorite so far had been my ZEOS keyboard - late 80s until it finally died.

Worked through various MSFT Ergos as I killed them on QUERTY.

Suffering through current MacBook Pro and HP chiclet keyboards.

My son is somewhat of a collector - Alpine, kbd with Alpine, Cherry with Cherry MX Brown, Taiwaneese IBM (that he hacked a USB Arduino zero into).

Between my son and a active and contagious mechanical keyboarder at work (IBM) well I'm fired up.

After playing with my sons and my colleagues (NightFox, WhiteFox) , and having a woody for ErgoDox, I finally discovered the KeyboardIO M01. It all makes sense and I took the plunge this August 2019 and ordered an M01

I have some mild carpal and some mild neuropathy (primarily outside two fingers).

I liked the White Fox with Cherry MX Browns and his (colleague at IBM) Night Fox with (Blues? Or next up tension from Browns?) But after a full day with
his keyboard I was having more trouble with my wrists than with the stock chiclets. I attribute some of that to not having a wrist rest ( I had them straddling my MacBook Pro keyboard). So it was the "mechanical, compact (65%) , universal keyboard (strong desire) or going Ergo.

Long search on Ergo and I decided on the M01. I liked the Cherry MX Brown so I think I may need some time on the Matias Quiet Click (heavier). But it's all new and folks say that experienced tend to desire medium (at least). But to start from scratch on

I'm also a HUGE fan of wood. So WOOD(y) with more sculpting, a nice thumb
fan, and I was far then over the Erodox(ez).

I figure I'll start querty to get back functional - or go straight to COLMACK?

I'm also strongly interested in some small mouse pad like the Ergo. Thoughts?

Ordered an awaiting it. Getting started on forums for the community and also tips and helps on optimizing this for the MAC and PC - MAC is work and PC and LINUX is home.

I'm intending on learning keyboard shortcuts more - but right now mouse a fair bit (track pad on PC). So interested in what folks have done - from vecro on an Ergo trackpad or ? At normal WFH 2 monitors + PC (work mac), and I often have 8 SSH TTY up so selecting those and some tabbing through reference WEB are both required. Thoughts?

I'm in NC - RTP - "Mobile Worker" for IBM (formerly NTAP)

Just ordered today so a awaiting my prize. And Howdy!

Mike aka Nauglanch

Last edited:
Reaction score
681C018D-AA54-409A-96C3-F27C370C6129.jpeg

Maybe the Op wants one of these

Ask a Question