Bassist does keys

Reaction score
Hi. I'm a long time bass guitarist. Recently I've taken up teaching myself to play keyboards. I have a reasonable grasp of theory so I don't really want to start learning from the beginning. My plan is to first learn all the major scales. Ive downloaded a guide to most scales with the correct fingerings and was going really well until I got to Bb. I'm joking. I'm more than happy to put the work in to learn what I need to know. Alongside the scales, and going a lot slower, I'm learning to play the Wild Thing changes in 3 inversions in 15 keys with both hands. I thought about adding Stand By Me or a II V I but decided to keep it simple at first so I keep making progress. I'll add those things later. I'm using a 61 key midi controller and an old Arturia V license for sounds. I have to say that keyboards is a different perspective on music from the string instruments I've played up to now.

I've managed to google my way through the questions that have come up so far. But I expect its only a matter of time until I will need some real advice from experienced players. I've unlearned enough bad habits to know I don't want to be doing it again this late in life. Meanwhile there seems to be plenty of interesting reading available to me here.

Reaction score
Bb sucks, especially for spoon fingered players or those like me with arthritic hands.

I loved playing Stand By Me on my Bass.

Enjoy the learning process.

Best advice is to keep up the practice system that works for you.

Reaction score
Yeah Bb. I expect its a symptom of hitting the flat keys and everything changes. If I work on that for a bit I get a chance to catch up the chord work.

Never thought keys'd be so much fun. I tried to learn before but I didn't have a real plan how to go about it. Now I have to be careful not to neglect the bass.

Stand by Me is a great song. And those chords pop up everywhere. I've got an old rock and pop fake book around here somewhere. And I've downloaded most of the Hanon exercises for when I get that far. Doubt I'll ever run out of things to practice.

Ask a Question