Beginner's keyboard confusion, please can you help!!

Reaction score
I've just joined the forum, as I am totally lost. Advance apologies if I am not making sense.

I'm giving up my job as a medic next month to pursue my hobbies/interest in music production.

Q1.
I have a Yamaha DGX 650 keyboard. For several years I have played like a standalone piano and I have written some stuff. Can I patch it in the computer? I have a Windows laptop, Lenovo with 16 GB ram.
Q2.
I now realize I could have done a lot more with it, watching some tutorial videos.
Can you signpost to me where I can find a comprehensive, step by step guide on DGX 650? I understand it's been discontinued some years ago. Does that mean I have no way progressing very far if I stuck with it.
Q3.
I'm just beginning. If I have to get a MIDI controller, I have looked at Ableton-aligned Novation SL 49 MK3. That sounds great but rather disorienting/confusing. Should I check the temptations and just go for Launchkey 49 MK3?

Sorry, I sound so uncertain. That's because I am. I shall really appreciate if you suggest how I go forward. Best wishes. U_pal

Reaction score
Welcome.

Q1
Probably but that is dependent of your version of Windows and the possible Driver that may require sourcing and installing first.
Look in the manuals, note plural comment as there are multiple ones available.

Q2
There are manuals still available to download on the Yamaha website including a manual specific for MIDI this should help you in connectivity and settings you will need to make in the menu system

Q3
Get the DGX connected and you will not need a MIDI controller where btw the cheap ones are or rather can be very inconsistent in the feel of the keybed.

I am sure others with more knowledge than I will be along to add their comments.

Meanwhile do have a search of the forum as the DGX range has been the subject of a lot of posts.

Reaction score
Welcome.

Q1
Probably but that is dependent of your version of Windows and the possible Driver that may require sourcing and installing first.
Look in the manuals, note plural comment as there are multiple ones available.

Q2
There are manuals still available to download on the Yamaha website including a manual specific for MIDI this should help you in connectivity and settings you will need to make in the menu system

Q3
Get the DGX connected and you will not need a MIDI controller where btw the cheap ones are or rather can be very inconsistent in the feel of the keybed.

I am sure others with more knowledge than I will be along to add their comments.

Meanwhile do have a search of the forum as the DGX range has been the subject of a lot of posts.
WOW... thanks very much, Biggles.. I'm forever grateful for your reply. There's some hope after all. I found the European Yamaha site where they have several drivers... I am guessing these are perhaps common to DGX range, including 650 (mine) and 660... which I am told has kinda replaced 650...

I should have mentioned I am having a T470, Ram 16gb. I have been gifted Focusrite 2i2 3rd generation so I have downloaded Ableton. It's a huge learning curve and I am still looking at the ladder, dreading to look up...lol

Ask a Question