Casio AZ-1 Repair Manual

Reaction score
Good luck, Graham. I've been waiting for almost 2 years.
Please you guys !!! If anybody has a service manual, please share.
If anyone could point us in the right direction, that would be great, too.
I wonder if there's a tech anywhere in the U.S. that services these.
The last guy I took mine to.................. you don't wanna know.
Good luck to all still searching,
Jimi

Reaction score
Casio AZ-1 Service Manual

Hi Jimi,

thanks for the rapid reply.

The only place I've found that claim to be able to supply one is the publishing house SAMS,

They want $38 plus postage for a hard copy ( no downloads ) as they're in the US, by the time you add the shipping it will come to more than I want to pay for the AZ-1...

There's one other place that claims tohave a downloadable scan, but the link doesn't work...

Somebody out there must have one.

Graham.

rgb

Reaction score
I also am suffering from an AZ-1 with a bad pitch bend wheel and would love to get some advice/help/manual for it it. Fortunately it is one that I bought as a back up and is function otherwise.

Reaction score
Lost hope

Hi all,

I missed the AZ-1 and decided to do it a different way.

I've made my own keytar using a Roland PCR-50 MIDI controller and an old Yamaha MU-10 XG voice generator.

A few bits of custom fibreglass hold it all together and I've combinesd the power and audio on a single cable so I can pick it up and play it like a normal guitar.

Best of luck to all of you that are still trying to get help.

Graham.

rgb

Reaction score
Pitch Wheel Fixed!!!

I was able to repair my pitch wheel. The problem was that the wheel itself had taken an impact. I carefully opened the unit, which you can do by removing the big screws on the bottom and carefully pull the top off without detaching it.

The problem was easy to see. The wheel assembly has a metal tongue that the spring rests on and brings the wheel back to the middle (64). By bending that tongue back into shape the spring now rests where it should and all is good. If the wheel is too badly damaged one could sacrifice one of the other wheels and just move the spring onto it. The wheel assemblies themselves are all the same. Take a screwdriver to all of them to make sure they are tight, but do not overtighten!!!

If after bending it back into shape it still doesn't center properly there is a small adjustment screw on the wheel assembly that you can use to fine tune the rest point.

I was able to find a service manual here.

http://www.pmerecords.com/Tech.html

Some of the pages aren't very useful but most of them are and are certainly better than nothing.

Reaction score
Pitch Wheel Fixed!!!

I was able to repair my pitch wheel. The problem was that the wheel itself had taken an impact. I carefully opened the unit, which you can do by removing the big screws on the bottom and carefully pull the top off without detaching it.

The problem was easy to see. The wheel assembly has a metal tongue that the spring rests on and brings the wheel back to the middle (64). By bending that tongue back into shape the spring now rests where it should and all is good. If the wheel is too badly damaged one could sacrifice one of the other wheels and just move the spring onto it. The wheel assemblies themselves are all the same. Take a screwdriver to all of them to make sure they are tight, but do not overtighten!!!

If after bending it back into shape it still doesn't center properly there is a small adjustment screw on the wheel assembly that you can use to fine tune the rest point.

I was able to find a service manual here.

http://www.pmerecords.com/Tech.html

Some of the pages aren't very useful but most of them are and are certainly better than nothing.

Thanks for the link and God bless you my friend.

Reaction score
Please, I need a repair manual and possibly owner's manual. I don't have much money but I can get good prices for martial arts gear. Help for help. Thank you.

Reaction score
Does anyone know where to obtain a copy of the Casio AZ-1 keytar repair manual? They are the best keytars out there but... if anything goes wrong, you're sunk. Mine has a pitch bend wheel problem that results in it playing my Kurzweil about 1/4 semitone sharp. It's aggravating. My guess is that the pot is out of adjustment, but I have no idea how to adjust it. Any suggestions?

After changing all the trannies in the AZ1 and adjusting all the pots,mine still has the offset pitch problem.I'm still looking for the solution - I have the engineers manual,but it does not seem to be a pot adjustment problem. I even contacted Casio about it - to no avail.
If anyone finds the solution I would be very interested.

Reaction score
Pitch Wheel Fixed!!!

In my case,I do not think it is a physical problem with the pitch bend - the values of all the controllers are off by the same amount - I have altered the values using MIDI-ox to work around the problem,but this defeats the object of a keytar - it seems as though all the pots are getting 0-5v as they should,but the processor has some sort of offset applied and it outputting the wrong values. Of course with the pitch bend not being at centre detente - the MIDI channel selector then does not work until the PB is moved off centre.

Reaction score
Hi, guys.
I've got a AZ-1 too. But 3 month ago, I've burned it up with too much voltage.
Now I need a Repair Manuual too. Ohhh, shit. I'm losing so much engagements.

Can anybody help me? ...there's no problem to spend some money.
Greetz,TonyB.
I'm in the same boat. Accidentally connected the wrong wall wart. I bought another one on ebay, but really want to get this one fixed. Maybe somebody could open them both up and compare. Anybody know any good techs around Bradenton, FL?

Reaction score
Hello Everybody! I'm very sad that i couldn't fix my partially working AZ-1 to a 100% working condition. Please somebody send me the repair manual! The display doesnt show any characters and when i try to use the aftertouch the casio sends very abnormal midi messages. If anybody could know how to fix these send me a pm. THANKS!

When I first got mine from ebay there was no display - this seemed to be due to a mal-adjusted pot (although I have changed all the display trannies too).Cannot say about the aftertouch other than this being controlled by pot3,which is sat alone on its own circuit board.

Ask a Question