Casio LK-300TV connect with iPad

Reaction score
Hello, I got an old Casio LK-300TV keyboard and was very happy to see the USB-MIDI option. I came across some post about this keyboard is not a "class compliant" device.
I want to see if there is anyone out there connected a device that is not a "class compliant" to an iPad/iPhone. I have seen videos that people are using a PUK(midi to Bluetooth) device to connect USB controllers. Does anyone know if PUK or alike can work with non "class compliant" devices?

Thank you.

SeaGtGruff

I meant to play that note!
Reaction score
Yes, I have an older Yamaha YPT-400 keyboard that is not class-compliant, and I've had no trouble using it with my iPad. The iOS operating system has "Core MIDI" built into it, and I think this should let you use your Casio LK-300TV with your iPad, iPhone, or iPod touch. You must get either Apple's "Camera Connection Kit" or "USB Lightning Adapter," depending on whether your iOS device has a 30-pin connector or a Lightning connector, so you can connect a standard USB cable to it. I haven't looked at the manual for the LK-300TV, but I assume you can use a USB 2.0 cable with it, although if it's really old then you might need to use a USB 1.1 cable instead. I haven't tried using Bluetooth yet, but that shouldn't make a difference in whether or not the keyboard works with the iOS device, since any data connection is a connection, and the iOS device will still need to rely on Core MIDI to handle the communications with the keyboard.

Reaction score
Thank you Michael.
Yes, I do have Apple lightning camera connection cable. I did try to change the settings on the Casio keyboard to support midi operations. I used Korg module le app. It does not give any sound with Casio. Cable and app works, I checked this at Guitar Center.
Do I need any additional app on iPad to setup midi drivers for Casio ?

SeaGtGruff

Reaction score
I’ll have to look at the manual for that keyboard to get any ideas. I’ll post back later. There’s no guarantee it will work if it’s really old, or you might need a USB 1.1 cable if the keyboard doesn’t like USB 2.0.

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
The problem is not cables or port compatibility.

It's the ancient proprietary USB chips and protocol of the Casio keyboard.

Unless you can find some sort of legacy driver for it, it will never work.

Gary ;)

SeaGtGruff

Reaction score
After looking at the manual, I fear that Gary is right. I couldn't find the date it was released, but it's probably too old.

The manual doesn't mention anything about a USB version, so I assume it predated USB 2.x, so at the very least you should see if you can find a USB 1.x cable to try. But even so, I'm afraid the chances of it working are pretty remote.

Reaction score
Hey Gary, and Michael.
I'll leave the Casio keyboard where it is and will move on.
Thank you both for taking the time to find details and giving valuable options for me.
Very much appreciated.

Ask a Question