Casiotone 701

Reaction score
While I was playing I smelled something burning and smoke was cumming out of the keyboard. I opened-up the keyboard but I can't see anything wrong. Anyone had a similar problem or idea what it can be?

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
Smoke coming out is a BIIIIGGGGGG NONO!!!

Unplug it.

Simple explanation??

Unplug it.

Something inside cooked.

Long explanation?

Take it to a tech before it burns your house down...

Gary ;)

Reaction score
While I was playing I smelled something burning and smoke was cumming out of the keyboard. I opened-up the keyboard but I can't see anything wrong. Anyone had a similar problem or idea what it can be?
I'm pretty sure you were playing too fast. The friction caused by the pace of fast playing can often cause components in cheaper keyboards to heat up to the point of combustion.

I'm not an expert on Casio, but I believe the "701" designation on your model refers to its safe operable limit in degrees fahrenheit.

A simple solution that might assist: Read your sheet music, if you see a notation such as "Allegro" or "Allegretto" simply strike it out, or maybe white it out if you prefer and hand write "Adagio", "Lento" or "Largo" in its place.

You should find this slows the music considerably, allowing you to operate your keyboard safely and without further heat-related incident.

Last edited:
Reaction score
I had the same. One of the square capacitors (22n Y2) near the power supply is burned. Look for black traces in the capacitor's shell and on the pcb (you can still see black traces behind the bottom one of my 701). Replacing them both is a piece of cake.

IMG_5362.jpg

Reaction score
I had the same. One of the square capacitors (22n Y2) near the power supply is burned. Look for black traces in the capacitor's shell and on the pcb (you can still see black traces behind the bottom one of my 701). Replacing them both is a piece of cake.

View attachment 2107
This just happened to me. And there's indeed one of these capactiors who blew up. But could just one of these make that much smoke?? Do your casiotone work fine now that you replaced them?

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
The designers probably used a design that sacrifices one or two key components in the event of a full short circuit overload. If the cap was electrolytic it could have been caused by reverse polarity.

Either way, once you do the repair check the board for any shorts between the power buses and make certain you are plugging in the right supply.

Try it with batteries first.

Gary ;)

Last edited:
Reaction score
This just happened to me. And there's indeed one of these capactiors who blew up. But could just one of these make that much smoke?? Do your casiotone work fine now that you replaced them?
Mine still works fine after replacing these capacitors. And yes, if they blow, it creates a lot of smoke ...

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
They seem to be tough to find.

Read this thread.

Be wary of replacements.

Here's exact replacements.

Pulls from old gear.

Gary ;)

Ask a Question