Casio PX-A100 /PX-160 VS Yamaha P-115 blind comparison . I like blind tests}}

Reaction score
Hi, guys! Again, this is my blind piano comparison. Yamaha P-115 VS Casio PX-A100 /PX-160. Where sound is better? Thanks for listening! Hope on your feedbacks. Please, NO SPOILER!

Reaction score
I was right because it appeared you were playing in such a way to promote one over the other, more respect for one over the other. Also the huge odds as to how a person would name them which I can't explain without giving it away. And btw, I played the "promoted loser" after a similar test which gave the same sound and it did not sound like that at all, must have been something to do with recordor playback settings, PC audio, or something. Not really knocking it as much as I might sound. I just don't think it's possible to be fair in a test by one person.

Last edited:

Rayblewit

Love Music / Love Life
Reaction score
One would have to be the ultimate perfectionist to pick one over the other.
I always thought that Yamaha electronic kb's had near perfect grand piano sound. That is what salesmen have told me.
Both music selections above sounded similar to me and I would be just guessing which is which.

Reaction score
One would have to be the ultimate perfectionist to pick one over the other.
I always thought that Yamaha electronic kb's had near perfect grand piano sound. That is what salesmen have told me.
Both music selections above sounded similar to me and I would be just guessing which is which.
For lack of correct term knowledge, one sounds dampered with less string resonance but I bet it has more to do with what we are listening through.
It also just hit me that it could be a speaker difference even just size which is irrelevent when using an amp.

Last edited:
Reaction score
I was not even thinking of this thread as I went to my piano to make sure I wasn't missing a chord as I was telling someone what the chords were for Canon in C. As I played slowly note for note I noticed the strong bass and strong bass string wave resonance that would go on and on as long as I held the sustain. Far more so than either in this demonstration yet my piano was shown here as the loser and as I basically stated before, sounded like dampened thuds. It does not sound like that one bit and it has far better acoustic bass string sound than even the winner did here.

Reaction score
The Yamahas being "redundantly and diligently matched to their 150K grand," or something like that, appears to be a very well known statement and I think this is what Yamaha says under "features." I've even seen that a few times lately, maybe even in here. I can't say I've noticed a problem with their sound or whether this is true or not but I'm sure not the one to say. I see pros using them on stage. I could be wrong, but I vaguely remember one article saying this change was after the P-35 or P-45.

SeaGtGruff

I meant to play that note!
Reaction score
It might be that the best way to compare the sound of different keyboards would be to use a MIDI file, to ensure that each instrument is responding to exactly the same notes, note velocities, note durations, sustains, etc.

However, that would still be difficult, as you'd ideally want to use voices which are present on all of the keyboards being compared. Or you could select the "best" voice the keyboard has-- the best acoustic grand piano voice, best harpsichord voice, best electric piano voice, best drawbar organ voice, etc., whatever sound you happen to be comparing.

Also, many keyboards automatically set the reverb type and depth, chorus type and depth, LPF cutoff frequency and resonance level, etc., when you select a particular voice, so you'd want to make sure that those things were set as equally as possible on all of the keyboards being compared.

Of course, some people don't like diving into a keyboard's function menu to tweak the various sound parameters and effects settings, so it's fair to compare the default sound that you get when you turn on the keyboard and start playing, as long as it's understood that what you're hearing can (usually) be changed quite a bit by editing one or more settings.

Anyway, I thought both keyboards sounded very good-- number 2 seemed a bit "brighter" to me than number 1, so I thought number 1 sounded "richer," but I assume that the sound of both keyboards can be adjusted by the user.

Reaction score
I have to go with number one, more richness resonance and pleasant sustain. The second one to me had a shallower sound with more damping and not as much fullness, really liked 1! Now who is who?

Fred Coulter

Collector of ancient keyboards
Reaction score
I have to go with number one, more richness resonance and pleasant sustain. The second one to me had a shallower sound with more damping and not as much fullness, really liked 1! Now who is who?

To make life more complicated, richer is not always the same as better. We've all been spoiled with the full sound of the modern grand piano, but keyboards didn't always sound like that. Pianos before 1840 didn't have iron frames, which meant much lower string tension. Hammers were harder originally. What Mozart heard on his piano pieces isn't what we hear, playing the same piece on a modern piano.

I'm not saying it's worse, or that it's better, just that it's different.

I will say that I like the sound of clavier pieces from the baroque much better on harpsichord and clavichord than I do on piano. (I'm sure that there are others who disagree.)

Reaction score
As far as sound goes, all I know is what my ear tells me and I've been trusting it for a long time, others opinions may differ of course but to each their own, makes life more interesting.

Reaction score
not sure either test is very scientific or the amount of bias. Also, I swear they just weren't sustaining one at, at least one point

Ask a Question