Casio WK 7500 – Drums out

Reaction score
I want to:

a) Play keyboard with the right hand,

b) Play accompaniment with the left hand, and

c) Send ONLY THE DRUMS on CH. 10 MIDI OUT? The idea is to hook up Alesis SR 16 for a betted um sound.

I’ve set the MIDI out on Channel 10, but no it sends whatever is played on the keyboard into the DAW?

Any ideas, is it possible at all to send only the drum part of the accompaniment as MIDI OUT?

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
I think on Casios Channels 8 thru 16 are reserved for ACCP OUT and you have to enable ACCP OUT to get a MIDI signal.

You may also have to adjust the DRUM and BASS channels on the SR from MIDI OMNI to 10 for drums and whatever you want for bass IN.

Those settings should work.

Gary ;)

SeaGtGruff

I meant to play that note!
Reaction score
I don't think you can send just the drums on channel 10-- or really channels 9 and 10, since both are used for the drums and percussion. I believe you're going to need to filter out all channels except the one(s) you want, which should be easy enough to do in your DAW.

You're also going to need to stop the drums from playing on the keyboard. I don't think you can just toggle them off and still have them be transmitted over MIDI, so here's the way I do it on my Yamahas:

(1) Set the keyboard's Local Control to Off, so the keyboard doesn't generate any sounds as you play it.

(2) Send all of the MIDI channels for the keyboard parts and accompaniment parts to the DAW.

(3) Send all of the MIDI channels back to the keyboard, except the channels for which you don't want to use the keyboard's instrument tones or drum kits.

(4) Send those other channels to whatever virtual instruments or external sound modules or other keyboards that you want them to be played with. If necessary, you can have the DAW change the channel numbers.

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
The Alesis can be set to receive only on channel 10. It's not rocket science, all other channels will be ignored mike.

Gary ;)

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
Also turning LOCAL OFF will disable the entire keyboard. All he has to do is set the ACCP volume to zero while the MIDI drums go out on channel 10.

Gary ;)

SeaGtGruff

I meant to play that note!
Reaction score
But I thought he said in the original post that he wants to use the drums from the other keyboard while still using everything else from the Casio? If he turns the accompaniment volume to 0, how is he going to be able to hear the other parts of the accompaniment?

What I suggested isn’t rocket science, either.

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
Assuming he wants to play accompaniment with his left hand he could play a single instrument across the whole board using left and right while rhythm and drums can be sent out via MIDI.

Otherwise it depends on what he means by "playing accompaniment."

He said he simply wants better sounding drums.

He could, if he wants to, use a keyboard split with channel two playing bass on the left and send it to the Alesis along with the drums. The Alesis plays both drum and bass voices.

Either way there's simply no reason to bring a DAW and LOCAL OFF into this.

That only adds needless complexity.

Gary ;)

Reaction score
Gary, Michael

Thanks for the tips. I ordered https://www.serdashop.com/USBMIDIHost so I'll try it when it arrives.

P.S. My confusion was because while I'm waiting for MIDI host I hooked up Casio to Cubase on PC.
I've set "MIDI accompaniment out ", and "MIDI on Channel 10", but than, whatever I pressed on the keyboard was being heard in the Cubase. Even worse, heard as some drums and percussions.

I hope that when I'll connect Casio with Alesis drum machine it'll be better.
As MIchael says, yes, the original idea is to "play accompaniment with the left hand, some e - piano with right hand, and to have better drums sound through the drum machine.

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
You've got it wrong here.

Set your keyboard to Channel 1 for the piano sound.

set the ALESIS to Channel 10 IN.

As for ACCP OUT? That defaults to channels 9 - 16. Drums default to channel 10.

You shouldn't have to touch the MIDI channel settings on the keyboard at all.

Gary ;)

Reaction score
Gary thanks

I'm waiting for the USB Midi Host to arrive, so that I can connect the Casio with the Alesis.

I bought in from a store in Belgium, I'm in Macedonia si it'll take a day or two.

Looking forward to test this

Marjan

Ask a Question