casio wk-7500 having issue with saving to SD card

Reaction score
I used to be able to save a song sequence to the SD card in SMF format. Now it does does come up with the save option when trying to do this. All I get is "Load".
I also found out that I cannot perform a backup of all data as that "Save" option is also missing.
In the mean time, I have saved all of the settings as groups using casio's software.
But I cannot figure out why the "Save" option is missing everywhere. I have tried various SD cards that have been working but to no avail.
I tried Casio phone support but they hung up on me after telling me that I am using the proper procedure, and did not know why it wouldn't save.
Anybody have any clues?

"1978 Mustang Cobra 2"

Reaction score
cobra2

All load/save operations to/from the SD Card in the WK-7500 (with the exception of AUDIO files) are made to/from the MUSICDAT folder on the card. You can create this folder manually in a computer, or allow the WK-7500 to create it automatically by formatting the card in the WK-7500. If you ever intend to record audio files with the WK-7500, it is best to format the card in the keyboard to ensure proper formatting that is compatible with Casio audio files.

Load/save operations to/from the SD Card are covered on Pages 138 and 139 of the User's Guide. The "key" is in Step 4 on Page 138. You must press AND HOLD the FUNCTION button while momentarily pressing the (F+) LOAD/SAVE button. This button also serves as the CARD button. This puts the WK-7500 into the LOAD/SAVE mode. BUT . . . prior to doing this, you must first perform one of the operations listed in the table in Step 3 on Page 138 in order to tell the WK-7500 what you want to LOAD/SAVE. If you want to save a User Rhythm to the SD Card, you must first press the USER RHYTHMS button to put the keyboard into that mode before entering the LOAD/SAVE mode, and so forth and so on.

When you record a song with the Song Sequencer, it is automatically saved to internal memory (up to 5 songs), when you press the STOP button to end recording. No additional "save" operation need be done at this point. If you want to save that song to the SD Card, you must press the SONG SEQUENCER button to put the WK-7500 into the Song Sequencer mode (if it is not already there) per Step 3 on Page 138. Use the Data Wheel or the -/+ buttons to select the song from internal memory that you want to save to the card. Now perform Step 4 on Page 138 to enter the Load/Save mode. The display will show "-Seq Load-" and the name of the first file that can be loaded from the card or "No File" if there are none there yet. If you did want to load a sequencer file, you could use the Data Wheel or the -/+ buttons to scroll through the available files, but for now, press the DOWN ARROW button once, and the display will show "-Seq Save-". This is to save the song to the card in Casio proprietary "CMS" format. Press the DOWN ARROW once again, and the display will show "-Seq SmfSave-" This is the one you are looking for. This converts the song to Standard MIDI File Format and saves it to the card as a ".MID" file. This is a 3 item menu. As you continually press the UP/DOWN ARROWS, you just keep looping through these same 3 Load/Save options. Use the Data Wheel or -/+ buttons to name your file (song) and press enter. If you save the song in Seq (CMS) format, you would use these same procedures to load the song back into internal memory to play it, but once it is converted and saved as an SMF (.MID) file, you just press the CARD button from the main power-on screen, and use the Data Wheel or -/+ buttons to select the song to play and press the START/STOP button in the RHYTHM/SONG CONTROLLER transport controls. SMF (MID) files are played directly from the card. They are not loaded back into internal memory to be played. As a matter of fact, you can use a computer to copy SMF (.MID) files into the MUSICDAT folder on the card and play them with the WK-7500's MIDI file player.

Making data backups to the SD Card is covered in the right hand column on Page 139 of the User's Guide.

I realize that all of this is a little more involved than on the older Casio units, but particularly on the CTK-7000/WK-7500, things have been complicated by the inclusion of a Pattern Sequencer as well as the Song Sequencer and by their ability to handle audio files. Just give yourself some time to get used to it. As you have probably already discovered, the manual doesn't help all that much. I just wish the manual writers at Casio would learn what an INDEX is, and what it is for, and how handy it makes finding what you are looking for, but in the meantime, that's part of what this forum is here for.

Recording and playing back AUDIO files with the WK-7500 are covered on Pages 121-126 of the User's Guide. AUDIO files are recorded directly to the SD Card, NOT to internal memory. They are stored in a hidden partition on the card, so Windows and MAC/OS will not be able to see them on the card. That is why you need to format the card in the WK-7500 if you want to record AUDIO files. To convert them to "standard" audio formats, you need to upload them to a computer with Casio's Data Manager 6.X software. If you have problems with this, give a shout once you get into it.

Good luck !

P.S. - Love the car ! :rolleyes:

Last edited:
Reaction score
cobra2

All load/save operations to/from the SD Card in the WK-7500 (with the exception of AUDIO files) are made to/from the MUSICDAT folder on the card. You can create this folder manually in a computer, or allow the WK-7500 to create it automatically by formatting the card in the WK-7500. If you ever intend to record audio files with the WK-7500, it is best to format the card in the keyboard to ensure proper formatting that is compatible with Casio audio files.

Load/save operations to/from the SD Card are covered on Pages 138 and 139 of the User's Guide. The "key" is in Step 4 on Page 138. You must press AND HOLD the FUNCTION button while momentarily pressing the (F+) LOAD/SAVE button. This button also serves as the CARD button. This puts the WK-7500 into the LOAD/SAVE mode. BUT . . . prior to doing this, you must first perform one of the operations listed in the table in Step 3 on Page 138 in order to tell the WK-7500 what you want to LOAD/SAVE. If you want to save a User Rhythm to the SD Card, you must first press the USER RHYTHMS button to put the keyboard into that mode before entering the LOAD/SAVE mode, and so forth and so on.

When you record a song with the Song Sequencer, it is automatically saved to internal memory (up to 5 songs), when you press the STOP button to end recording. No additional "save" operation need be done at this point. If you want to save that song to the SD Card, you must press the SONG SEQUENCER button to put the WK-7500 into the Song Sequencer mode (if it is not already there) per Step 3 on Page 138. Use the Data Wheel or the -/+ buttons to select the song from internal memory that you want to save to the card. Now perform Step 4 on Page 138 to enter the Load/Save mode. The display will show "-Seq Load-" and the name of the first file that can be loaded from the card or "No File" if there are none there yet. If you did want to load a sequencer file, you could use the Data Wheel or the -/+ buttons to scroll through the available files, but for now, press the DOWN ARROW button once, and the display will show "-Seq Save-". This is to save the song to the card in Casio proprietary "CMS" format. Press the DOWN ARROW once again, and the display will show "-Seq SmfSave-" This is the one you are looking for. This converts the song to Standard MIDI File Format and saves it to the card as a ".MID" file. This is a 3 item menu. As you continually press the UP/DOWN ARROWS, you just keep looping through these same 3 Load/Save options. Use the Data Wheel or -/+ buttons to name your file (song) and press enter. If you save the song in Seq (CMS) format, you would use these same procedures to load the song back into internal memory to play it, but once it is converted and saved as an SMF (.MID) file, you just press the CARD button from the main power-on screen, and use the Data Wheel or -/+ buttons to select the song to play and press the START/STOP button in the RHYTHM/SONG CONTROLLER transport controls. SMF (MID) files are played directly from the card. They are not loaded back into internal memory to be played. As a matter of fact, you can use a computer to copy SMF (.MID) files into the MUSICDAT folder on the card and play them with the WK-7500's MIDI file player.

Making data backups to the SD Card is covered in the right hand column on Page 139 of the User's Guide.

I realize that all of this is a little more involved than on the older Casio units, but particularly on the CTK-7000/WK-7500, things have been complicated by the inclusion of a Pattern Sequencer as well as the Song Sequencer and by their ability to handle audio files. Just give yourself some time to get used to it. As you have probably already discovered, the manual doesn't help all that much. I just wish the manual writers at Casio would learn what an INDEX is, and what it is for, and how handy it makes finding what you are looking for, but in the meantime, that's part of what this forum is here for.

Recording and playing back AUDIO files with the WK-7500 are covered on Pages 121-126 of the User's Guide. AUDIO files are recorded directly to the SD Card, NOT to internal memory. They are stored in a hidden partition on the card, so Windows and MAC/OS will not be able to see them on the card. That is why you need to format the card in the WK-7500 if you want to record AUDIO files. To convert them to "standard" audio formats, you need to upload them to a computer with Casio's Data Manager 6.X software. If you have problems with this, give a shout once you get into it.

Good luck !

P.S. - Love the car ! :rolleyes:

Reaction score
I have done everything you mentioned many times with no luck on bringing up any "save" function. I have used cards that have been used for a long time successfully, including re-formatting the card on the keyboard.
I have successfully saved songs 1 - 4 as smf (midi) format on the card before, but that was before and this is now.
I cannot even backup the entire keyboard as I have done many times before according to the steps in the manual. The first screen "load" comes up as usual but when pressing the down or up arrow keys, it waits a second or so and then kicks me completely out of the function and back to where the keyboard was before initiating the card menu.
This is weird, as I have done this many times in the past.
Kicking me out of the card function happens no matter where I am at in the first place (song sequencer, user rhythm, etc.)
At first I thought that maybe the card was full although that cannot be when looking at space available on the card. However, I took one of the previously functioning cards, reformatted it by the keyboard, and tried again. Same problem.
I spoke with Casio support on the phone and they said I am following the proper procedure and they did not know what was wrong and then hung up, without a return call, although they got my phone number from me first.
Now what?

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
Last step in the diagnostic. Buy a brand new card, format it in the keyboard and see if it works or not. Also it may sound stupid but check if the write protect button is flipped on the card.

If everything checks out there may be some crud on the write protect sensor of the card drive. If it's not cleanable then it's probably a dead sensor.

In that case if it's still under warranty ship it back to Casio or else otherwise find a repair tech who works cheap and bring it in for repair.

Gary

Reaction score
if the write protect is set,then to test..try loading it in PC and save some file in it..it wont allow.

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
He should still buy a new card to test the keyboard with. SD cards DO eventually go bad and it's not a question of "if" it's a matter of "when."

If the write protect sensor of the keyboard is indeed at fault it will not even format in the keyboard.

Gary

Reaction score
Kind of unlikely that several different cards would all go bad all in the same way all at the same time. Sounds like the keyboard is the common factor. May be time for a factory reset. Need to backup data to PC first with the Data Manager software.

Reaction score
Problem solved.
Here is the way I found the answer.
I have 12 SD cards of various capacities, 8 of which were used in the keyboard to play MP3 files so that I could play along with the file. Four of these 12 cards were about 2 months old. And by the way, I have never had an SD card go bad. I worked on PC's for 12 years and was a service manager for the company. Never was there a report of a bad SD card. I don't know what kind of cards HappyRat1 uses, but mine are a large assortment of brands.
Anyway, here is what I found out. Although all of the cards were capable of the keyboard reading them, 4 of the newest cards were incapable of the keyboard writing to them. The keyboard could write to the other older cards fine, but it would not write to the newer cards. I could read and write to all of the cards on the computer without issues.
I could work on the MP3 files on the computer, editing the MP3 files. Then copy them to any of the SD cards and the keyboard would play them all without issues.
Lesson learned: Just because an SD card can be read and written to on a computer does not mean that all keyboards will work fine with them.
It is just a matter of finding the right card, not whether it is new or old.
I am considering this issue closed.
Thank you all for your comments.

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
I'm happy you found your solution however the reason why I stated it's "when" and not "if" a card goes bad is because by design a Flash Memory Register is capable of about 100,000 writes and rewrites before it eventually blows out.

It used to be more of a problem with older cards than newer ones because newer cards have built in memory management logic which disperses the writes to different register sets with each rewrite however even they will eventually fail.

If you are the type of person who regularly tries to defrag an SD card you may as well just save time and smash it with a brick :D :D :D

Gary

Ask a Question