CLP-545 and Garageband?

Reaction score
Hi folks, I have a CLP-545 which has a USB MIDI ("to host" connector). I've bought a USB to lightning cable as I want to use the keyboard with GarageBand on iPad.

However the keyboard and tablet seem completely oblivious to each other when I connect them.

Is there some config necessary? Or am I flogging a dead horse?

Thanks
W

SeaGtGruff

I meant to play that note!
Reaction score
I think you should be able to get a connection between the two, although I don't know if that particular cable is able to do it. The Yamaha site says that the CLP-545 has traditional MIDI ports in addition to its USB TO HOST port, so if all else fails I think you should be able to use something like the iConnectivity mioXC (which looks like it would still require the Apple Lightning-to-USB camera adapter for connecting the mioXC to a Lightning port).

I'm not sure how old the CLP-545 is, and I haven't looked at its reference manuals, but if it's an older model then your problem might be the generation of USB. If you bought a Lightning-to-USB camera adapter from Apple, it may very well be a USB3 adapter, whereas the CLP-545 might not be compatible with USB3. If that's indeed the problem, you might simply need to get a Lightning-to-USB camera adapter that uses USB2 rather than USB3. If none is available from Apple, there should be third-party adapters that might work.

Last edited:

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
Hi folks, I have a CLP-545 which has a USB MIDI ("to host" connector). I've bought a USB to lightning cable as I want to use the keyboard with GarageBand on iPad.

However the keyboard and tablet seem completely oblivious to each other when I connect them.

Is there some config necessary? Or am I flogging a dead horse?

Thanks
W

I'm not sure about the ipad, but on macs there's a utility called Audio Midi Setup which has to be configured before anything else.

Reaction score
I think you should be able to get a connection between the two, although I don't know if that particular cable is able to do it. The Yamaha site says that the CLP-545 has traditional MIDI ports in addition to its USB TO HOST port, so if all else fails I think you should be able to use something like the iConnectivity mioXC (which looks like it would still require the Apple Lightning-to-USB camera adapter for connecting the mioXC to a Lightning port).

I'm not sure how old the CLP-545 is, and I haven't looked at its reference manuals, but if it's an older model then your problem might be the generation of USB. If you bought a Lightning-to-USB camera adapter from Apple, it may very well be a USB3 adapter, whereas the CLP-545 might not be compatible with USB3. If that's indeed the problem, you might simply need to get a Lightning-to-USB camera adapter that uses USB2 rather than USB3. If none is available from Apple, there should be third-party adapters that might work.
Thanks for the advice. A bit of further reading suggests I need to buy an i-UX1 dongle, which Yamaha sell for £78. That's a little too steep for me so I'll look at laptop connections instead!

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
You DO realize, don't you, that garageband can only see your keyboard as an input device.

It cannot output to your keyboard at all.

Just in case you had other intentions. :)

Gary ;)

Reaction score
One possible reason is:
Many old yamaha keyboards are not USB class compatible, and drivers need to be installed before they can be used on the computer. Because the iPad cannot install the driver, it cannot be used.

Ask a Question