Complete newbie needs help choosing a midi keyboard

Reaction score
Like the title says, basically I'm after a midi keyboard to control synths/whatever in Cubase. It doesn't have to be an 88 key monster or anything, and I'm not really looking to do 10 finger arpeggios whilst accompanying myself on the kazoo: just pretty basic playing, especially considering I've had no lessons and I'm basically a guitarist. Saying that, I don't want to get a dirt-cheap one that's built out of recycled cardboard and hand powered by an old car winder, I had a budget of £150/$220-ish, but I'd be willing to go up, even if it meant selling myself on the streets for a couple of nights. I guess a few things it'd have to have would be:

Some kind of USB connectivity;
keys with velocity sensitivity;
'aftertouch' sounds pretty interesting, though I'm not sure if that's important or necessary.

I really have no idea what's considered useful or good besides those, I suppose the keyboard itself wouldn't have to have the sound of angels singing or anything because I planned to use edirol orchestral/FM8 in Cubase. But of course, if anyone has any ideas or suggestions I'd like to hear them, maybe this is like saying 'I want a Ferrari for £1000, with laser lights and a secret rocket launcher'. :eek:

Reaction score
Just getting started with keyboards myself, but from what I've seen so far the Yamaha PSR-413 might be what the doctor ordered. Most shops sell it for the price you listed.

Some of Yamaha's lower-featured, lower-cost models might also be a good fit for you as well.

Reaction score
Well £150 was about the mark I was looking at, though I'd consider going higher. A couple I was interested in (a couple I googled and thought, oooh) were the Edirol PCR-500 and the CME UF50. Both have got velocity/aftertouch which seems important for a realistic and organic sound, but other than that I have no idea if they're decent or not. I guess in a way I'm 50/50 if I'll use it all that much, I've always learnt music innately so I'm sure I could pick up piano/keyboard, though it seems like 88 keyed ones are the only ones worth going for if you were genuinely going to learn and get into it all.

Reaction score
Well £150 was about the mark I was looking at, though I'd consider going higher. A couple I was interested in (a couple I googled and thought, oooh) were the Edirol PCR-500 and the CME UF50. Both have got velocity/aftertouch which seems important for a realistic and organic sound, but other than that I have no idea if they're decent or not. I guess in a way I'm 50/50 if I'll use it all that much, I've always learnt music innately so I'm sure I could pick up piano/keyboard, though it seems like 88 keyed ones are the only ones worth going for if you were genuinely going to learn and get into it all.

For that price check out the M-Audio Axiom 49. 49 'semi-weighted' keys, loads of knobs and faders, and velocity sensitive pads for programming beats and things.

The PCR 500 is also a nice bit of kit. Stay away from CME, they break way too easy.

Reaction score
Just getting started with keyboards myself, but from what I've seen so far the Yamaha PSR-413 might be what the doctor ordered. Most shops sell it for the price you listed.

Some of Yamaha's lower-featured, lower-cost models might also be a good fit for you as well.

I agree, the PSR-413 is amazing for beginners and you can do many things with it. You would be surprised.

Reaction score
I agree, the PSR-413 is amazing for beginners and you can do many things with it. You would be surprised.

With all due respect, the 413 is not a midi-controller. It has a USB out, but only the keys have midi functionality, the buttons are not midi programmable.

Reaction score
With all due respect, the 413 is not a midi-controller. It has a USB out, but only the keys have midi functionality, the buttons are not midi programmable.

Oh sorry, i thought you were looking for something else XD.

Reaction score
You're not the only one Riotblade!

My other suggestions would have had McChub selling himself on the streets. Besides satchmo's suggestions would likely be a much better fit.

Ask a Question