Connecting 2 keyboards together

Reaction score
I have in the past connected a Yamaha P35 piano to a Tyros 4, via the old midi connections available at the time. I played the P35 and used all the T4 facilities.
Current keyboards appear to only have USB sockets. The question is, can these USB sockets be used in the same way. I now have a Clavinova CVP605 and would like to midi another keyboard to it and do the same, theoretically adding more voices layered to the right hand.
Nobody appears to be able to give me a definitive answer. Can this Forum assist me.
Ron

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score

SeaGtGruff

I meant to play that note!
Reaction score
Someone on the PSR Tutorial Forum assembled his own MIDI-to-USB host adapter for a fraction of what it would cost to buy one, but that sort of project is beyond me!

The least expensive standalone solution for connecting two keyboards that have USB ports seems to be the USB HOST MIDI ROUTER (or UHMR) from Sevilla Soft. It has only one USB port, but if you connect a USB hub to it and plug the keyboards into the USB hub then you can route MIDI back and forth between up to 8 different USB keyboards, as well as one MIDI keyboard.

Sevilla Soft also has an interface called the USB HOST MIDI 2 (or UHM2) that's similar to the UHMR except you can't route the MIDI between USB devices, only between a MIDI device and a USB device.

http://sevillasoft.com/news.php
http://compasflamenco.com/midi-c-3/?zenid=I8Q4GnpRy3DqPiC5OHHl13

Reaction score
Wow! Many thanks to you both. At last, a solution that I can investigate. Obviously, the cheaper the better but I do like the idea of cutting out the PC AND using an interface.
Thanks once again.
Ron

Reaction score
In this case cheaper might not be better. A better USB to MIDI converter will have less latency, less chance of hanging notes. Saving $20-30 to get the cheaper one might not be the smart idea; personally this is one area where I'd spend a few more pennies and ensure that the converter you purchase has less latency, can handle more midi 'traffic'; less chance of incurring hanging notes due to its inability to keeping up. Be smart about the purchase; it will ease your frustration down the road.

Ask a Question