Connections....

Reaction score
hey guys hope all is well!

I just wanted to post what I think I know ( after much research ), about connecting my keyboard up before I go ahead and buy stuff I do not really need.... it would be great if someone could tell me im right or if I just wrote a big pack of fibs!

So, I currently run a condenser mic through a tube mp project, then straight into my computer. Terrific. Vocals, sax and harmonica all good.

I have just got a PX-5S ( Thanks to happyrat1 for the info ) I am new to keyboards but knew I would need to connect it somehow ( and also get some monitors..) only problem is I do not want to make bad connections and make things go fizz bang! So I think....

1) I could run a TRS cable from the mono connection in the keyboard to my tube mp and record that way, having the computer control the monitors, or at least have the monitors running from the computer. Only thing is i am not sure if i could then record mic and keyboard at the same time?

2) alternativly I could get a pair of TS stereo cables and run it into a seperate audio interface unit which then connects directly to the computer. This way I could also run speakers directly from the audio interface. Only thing is the vocals would still run through the pre amp, so.....

3) I could maybe connect the pre amp to the audio interface if i wanted both keyboard and vocals to come out of the monitors? they would also both be recorded on logic with the right DAW settings?

I should mention that none of this set up would be for gigging.... its all small home stuff and maybe a room of mates every now and then. with that in mind I would welcome any comments on my homework! also.... any suggestions.... even if it is possible to do (1), I might still prefer an audio interface so suggestions for a good small one and small monitors would be greatly appreciated!

thanks in advance!

Dan

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
Take a look at my rig for a few suggestions.

This is my home studio.

The first diagram is the Audio Hookup

All the connections are stereo connected 1/4 TS unbalanced cables to the mixer and then a stereo RCA to 3.5 mm TRS cable from the mixer to the computer and a 3.5 mm to stereo RCA to the Kenwood receiver.

A couple of the instruments are hooked in Mono where I've run out of inputs on the mixer though.

studio_flowchart.jpg

The second diagram is the MIDI hookup for the rig.

flowchart_MIDI_USB_routing.jpg

Feel free to ask any questions on how it works and whether or not you can apply any of it to your setup.

Gary ;)

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
BTW, Behringer makes a complete line of mixers and mixer/usb audio interfaces ranging anywhere from 3 channels to 48 channel studio monsters.

Their budget equipment is quite good and many units sell for under $100.

I'd suggest if you go the mixer/usb interface route though, that you get something with at least 8 or 10 or 12 channels.

Always easier to leave room to grow than try and sell off old gear later to make room for new.

A few suggestions would be the

Behringer Xenyx 802 Mixer
if you wanted to keep your current USB Audio Interface.

http://www.amazon.com/Behringer-802-Premium-8-Input-Preamps/dp/B000J5XS3C

or the Behringer Q802USB if you wanted to get rid of your current audio interface.

http://www.amazon.com/Behringer-Q802USB-8-Channel-Mixer/dp/B008O517IC

Or if you're a total gearhead and wanted to record an entire band in your basement you could go for something like the 1002FX or the 1202FX like I have both of which have 100 built in DSP FX.

Remember, an 8 channel mixer is only 4 stereo channels. and out of those, two are dual purpose XLR inputs which are actually Mono Only unless you plug in a pair of TS cables and set the pan of each track to opposite sides.

Anyway, take a look at this stuff and then ask your questions.

Gary ;)

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
BTW, don't use TRS cables on your PX-5S unless they are balanced outputs. I'm not sure myself but I don't think they are. They won't make it smoke but they aren't necessary and they cost more.

Gary ;)

Reaction score
Hi Gary!

Yet again you are a fountain of information! I have spent most of my time googling your set up and the bits and pieces you have. Thats a lot of gear so ill safely assume you know what your talking about!

My idea for a set up is not quite so grand! The 802 looks like a good unit and I contemplated the smaller 502 as I had ideas of only really running the casio through it and keep the mic on the tube mp project pre amp.... but then I thought hey, why not keep the mic going to the pre amp and use an xlr connection to go from the pre amp output into the mixer where it will meet up with the casio. that way i can keep the nice mic sound and record both at the same time into the computer.... and if i get a dedicated mic for the sax later, all the better I wont have to upgrade.

I only think that as my pre amp was really only for the mic and does not have many other connections!

would that... work? it seems to make sense to me but then i have been pretty saturated with learning all this im not so sure anymore!

Thanks a ton for all this i really appreciate it!

Dan

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
That's how I'd recommend setting yourself up.

Run the MP Project to the XLR input on the Q802USB and run the PX-5S to the Line Inputs on the Behringer and run the USB of the Mixer into the computer.

That leaves you five extra channels for when your buddies come over and jam with you. Use one channel for a Sax Pickup, add Bass, Guitar and Drums and you'd be good to go and you'd still have one channel to spare, to mic up the drums in stereo or whatever you'd like.

Gary ;)

Reaction score
Awesome! I am glad my research paid off a little! I could not find an 802 in the end but did Find, after a while, a QX1002 that was 189 down from 279. Must be my lucky week!

Nice tunes by the way! There's a bit of everything there! I loved the chimes/bells on rustbucket. I could just imagine an old motor put-putting down a dusty road to that sound!

Thanks again Gary, you have been a huge help!

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
Yer very welcome Dan,

Feel free to post any more questions as they arise.

And many thanks for listening to my tunes. Comments like yours make it all worthwhile. ;)

Take care,

Gary ;)

Ask a Question