Could We Create A README.DOC For NEW MEMBERS?

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
Something they'd have to read and agree to before registering newbies?

I mean a few simple guidelines like DON'T POST THE SAME QUESTION MORE THAN ONCE

and PLEASE SEARCH THE FORUMS BEFORE YOU POST YOUR QUESTION

And a nice bit of courtesy with A SIMPLE THANK YOU WHEN YOU'VE SOLVED YOUR PROBLEM WOULD BE APPRECIATED.

Honestly every day I see these simple guidelines violated multiple times.

It shouldn't be that hard to build into the initial login procedure.

Gary ;)

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
There is a message that appears to new members, so I'm happy to add further to it. Any other suggestions on things that may help to mention?

Reaction score
Hi Ian
Further suggestions on things that may help to mention.
The full name of the device,type .....( for ex Technics SX KN6000 keyboard)
What configuration in use DAW,interface,program (for ex. Sonar V studio 100, Sonar 8,)
The question for info as clear as possible. (Define the problem)
We have only our experience to help the others.
mris

Reaction score
Further additions: We often make recommendations based on our gut/experience based on generic data provided by the poster. Then we never hear from them again. In addition to a thank you, I would like to understand if our suggestion actually worked and which one of the three or four recommendations that someone suggested actually was the one that fixed it. This way when the next poster posts something "similar" we would have some track record as to what solution usually is the one that fixes an issue. Example: " ... I turned my keyboard on, nothing happens....". We might say check the batteries, check the power supply (if external), the switch might be bad, etc.. I'd like to understand which one of the three (or some other issue, like the power outlet I plugged the keyboard into actually wasn't supplying power) was the problem. We often do a lot of leg work and we don't even know if any one the suggestions (or which one of the several we made) actually fixed the problem.

Last edited:
Reaction score
It would also help if it was mandatory that the User Location is completed and shown in the left pane.

The USA is not the centre of the universe and time zones apply for responses so a location and some text to show that it is an international forum may get the mindset of a newbie thinking worldwide.

If a poster puts in a cost/budget of 1000 how are we to know what actual currency it is?

Feedback, if only

Manners, a thankyou or a click on “like” will let us know the response has been read.

Lurkers, how about getting off your asses and contributing?

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
Maybe we could put it in a popup when they try to post the first few times and just a nice simple list of no more than 5 or 6 bullet points.

Sometimes you do have to lead a horse to water before he drinks.

Gary ;)

Reaction score
Hi
What about a fill-in form with something like
Name
issue
info we need to have an insight .
grtgs
mris

Rayblewit

Love Music / Love Life
Reaction score
Geezz!
You have all lost the plot here!

One simple readme.doc to start with as Gary originally suggested.

The 3 pointers as listed by Gary is ample for starters.

Anymore complicates it.

Stayers wil soon be welcomed and will soon learn protocol as they progress.

Afterall mainly it is about multi posting and courtesy to begin with. That is all.

Cheers
Ray

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
Well Ian, the votes are all in and the consensus is some kind of visually eye catching popup or title bar with a few simple warnings for the new folks who are still on their probationary period.

Nothing over complicated but something that won't be dismissed and ignored as clickbait by new posters.

It would definitely make all our lives a little easier.

I suspect it would help ease the load on Michael on as well though he he hasn't seen fit to comment so far.

Gary ;)

Ask a Question