Simple setup needed to create and record some 80s sounding tracks!

Reaction score
I am completely a noob about all things MIDI and have been reading a bit on the net and forums but have a few questions if someone would be ever so patient. I would like to make and record some 80s like music. I have a Kawai ES8 and Kawai CA79 digital piano and would like to get some device (a sound module) to create the sounds and another device to record the tracks and overlay them? I really a few (few as possible) pieces of hardware to do this. I’m not looking to have a computer setup with everything; I want ultra simple. My questions are, what hardware devices at a minimum would work? (and I know there are Emu-Emulator ii software knock offs, not sure if there is a device that has this sounds to input into the digital piano.

I don't really have a budget, under $1k would be nice.

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
For about $2K you could pick up a used Roland Integra 7.

Or you could invest $500 in a used ipad and blow another $500 on software to make it work.

No specific recommendations though. I'm strictly a hardware guy and $1000 doesn't buy much these days.

Gary ;)

Reaction score
happyrat1, yeah, it started looking around at hardware and pricing. Money isn't the issue, actually I thought of getting a Polybrute and a Roland Tr08S to start out, I could do a lot with that. That Roland integra is interesting.

Biggles, I have a custom PC with plenty of power (and laptops and tablet), but I don't want a computer workflow, I know this would be cheapest.

Reaction score
Portable recorders, Zoom and Tascam. Both makes have a wide range of models.

Check out iPad App store, type in Korg to see the very many Apps they produce, then type in Synthesiser and you have hundreds including Moog and Deepmind.

Reaction score
You could always sell the H6 on to help with the budget for say a Zoom Livetrack 12 or Tascam 16 which are digital mixers with inbuilt recording.

Ask a Question