Cubase and the PSR-E453

Reaction score
Hello All:

I am a newcomer to the world of DAW and have experimented with Audacity prior to settling for Cubase Elements 9.5. I have an output issue and attempted to find an answer to my problem both in the MIDI and this section of the forum. The answers obtained only partially resolve the issue I am having..

The issue is as follows:

I connected my Yamaha PSR-E453 to Cubase via the bi-directional USB 2.0 cable, installed the Steinberg USB ASIO driver and then configured Cubase. I now have 2 ports in and 2 ports out this allows for recording both Audio and MIDI on Cubase. Playback is via the speakers on my PSR-E453.

However, I am attempting to direct the output to my PC and from my PC to a set of speakers and not via the instrument. It appears this is not possible if the Steinberg driver or the Generic Low Latency ASIO Driver is used. My understanding gained thus far is that this issue mostly related to the architecture of the PSR-E453.

My query in a nutshell:

In your travels have you ever come across a driver compatible with win 10 and the PSR-E453 allowing for seamless integration with a variety of output devices.

Best Regards,

Rafferty

SeaGtGruff

I meant to play that note!
Reaction score
I have Cubase Elements 9 and a PSR-EW400. The other night I tried to set them up similar to what you want to do, but for some reason Cubase is not letting me select the Yamaha Steinberg USB ASIO driver-- when I choose it, a window pops up saying "Please wait while Windows..." blah blah, but then that popup freezes and never finishes installing or setting up the driver, and I end up having to use Task Manager to shut down Cubase. This is despite the fact that I've already got the Yamaha Steinberg USB driver installed and working great with other DAWs as well as Windows in general. I don't know what the problem is, although I did just uninstall all older versions of several DAWs (including Cubase Elements 8) to try to free up a bit of hard drive space, after which Cubase Elements 9 said that it couldn't find a valid license, so I had to run the eLicenser to fix that "missing license" issue-- which I've also run into on occasion after installing a large Windows update, so this latest occasion may have been due to the April 2018 Windows update that I recently applied rather than anything related to having uninstalled Cubase Elements 8.

Anyway, there are two things I was going to suggest:

(1) Go to the "Devices" menu and select the audio device that you want Cubase to use, as shown in the following YouTube video-- which is for an older version of Cubase, but it still applies:

If you don't want Cubase to output the audio to your PSR-E453 then make sure you choose something different-- generally whatever driver goes with your sound card, or if you don't have an ASIO-compatible sound card then you might want to consider installing ASIO4ALL, which works great with Windows 10 (for me, anyway) although it isn't "real ASIO," just an emulation of ASIO.

(2) Click on the speaker icon in your Windows 10 system tray so that it shows you the current volume setting with a slide bar. Above the volume slide bar you should see the name of the current audio output device, which you should be able to click on to get a dropdown list of all available audio output devices. If "Line (Digital Keyboard)" is selected, just change it to your computer's speakers or other desired audio output. By the way, this is a great way to listen to your computer's audio through your PSR-E453's speakers, such as when playing CDs, video games, streaming TV shows or movies, etc.

Reaction score
Thank you once again for your valued input. Thus far I have tried most combinations and permutation without much success. In summary I have no issues generating midi and audio tracks if I accept audio output via the E453.

Research suggests that the E453 requires the installation of the Steinberg driver to function correctly. In my case the generic driver will not function even so the driver is visible and functions correctly in Cubase Element 9.5. The issue seems to arise when Cubase is required to communicate with the E453. Panel setting then indicate an "inactive" mode presumably triggered by the E453. This suggests a driver related issue which as you pointed out may well be solved by installing the ASIO4all driver.

I will focus on that and if I may will let you know how I go.

Wishing you a great weekend,
Rafferty

Ask a Question