Difficulty level of replacing a data screen in a G-800

Reaction score
Hey guys,
My data screen is losing it's contrast/brightness so much so that it is difficult to read.
I see I can get a new screen online, for around $28.00.
My question is where do I begin to disassemble the unit to replace the screen, and the difficulty
involved. Has anyone here done this? is it an involved process with the removal of a number of boards requiring soldering, or just a bunch of plug's? My workspace, is at a premium..... and my eyesight isn't what it was when I was 78 since I've developed cataracts.
Thanks in advance!!!

Reaction score
Hey guys,
My data screen is losing it's contrast/brightness so much so that it is difficult to read.
My question is where do I begin to disassemble the unit to replace the screen, and the difficulty
involved. Has anyone here done this? is it an involved process with the removal of a number of boards requiring soldering, or just a bunch of plug's? My workspace, is at a premium..... and my eyesight isn't what it was when I was 78 since I've developed cataracts.
Thanks in advance!!!
I wouldn't recommend doing the job yourself if your eye sight isn't that good. It's not the screen you need to replace but the backlight. I recommend you find a competent tech who will do it for you. I was one although now I'm retired and my eyesight too isn't what is was before.

Reaction score
I wouldn't recommend doing the job yourself if your eye sight isn't that good. It's not the screen you need to replace but the backlight. I recommend you find a competent tech who will do it for you. I was one although now I'm retired and my eyesight too isn't what is was before.

Reaction score
I have a Roland G1000 and my LCD display has the same problem I have tried all owver the world via internet and contacting Synth companies Roland etc but to no avail I wish I could find one or a generic, if anyone has a suggestion it would be great, but as to your problem I have always used Roland Corp. technicians to fix any problem with my keyboard with great work always done I would advise to go to them it may cost but worth it. regards Noeline

Reaction score
I have a Roland G1000 and my LCD display has the same problem I have tried all owver the world via internet and contacting Synth companies Roland etc but to no avail I wish I could find one or a generic, if anyone has a suggestion it would be great, but as to your problem I have always used Roland Corp. technicians to fix any problem with my keyboard with great work always done I would advise to go to them it may cost but worth it. regards Noeline
If your G-1000 screen's characters are still visible and readable then what you need is a backlight that is slid underneath the screen. With some searching on the net a tech should find one available for your model but this job is always best done by a competent tech and not a learner. I used to do these but now I'm retired. It's a pity that many good keyboards have to end up this way.

Reaction score
I've just checked and the models G-600, G-800 and G-1000 LCD screens all have different part numbers which probably means they are not compatible with each other. Also am not sure if a backlight could be fitted to the G-1000's screen. A good tech would have to go into this as Roland only used to supply the screen complete and not a separate backlight for it.
G-1000 LCD part number is:
LCD ASSY 7700111000

Reaction score
Hey guys,
Thanks in advance!!!
Are you absolutely sure you are buying a screen and not its backlight?? At that price doesn't make sense, even for the backlight its not much and unbelievable. A screen, should you find one that is new and not used, would cost well over $100 probably $200.

Reaction score
I've just checked and the models G-600, G-800 and G-1000 LCD screens all have different part numbers which probably means they are not compatible with each other. Also am not sure if a backlight could be fitted to the G-1000's screen. A good tech would have to go into this as Roland only used to supply the screen complete and not a separate backlight for it.
G-1000 LCD part number is:
LCD ASSY 7700111000
Thank you Cosmos for your indepth research on these keyboards compatibility, looks like my keyboard is doomed very sad as it has been an excellent keyboard and is still in great order. Kind regards Noeline

Reaction score
If your G-1000 screen's characters are still visible and readable then what you need is a backlight that is slid underneath the screen. With some searching on the net a tech should find one available for your model but this job is always best done by a competent tech and not a learner. I used to do these but now I'm retired. It's a pity that many good keyboards have to end up this way.
Thank you for your reply and advice in trying to help me, I don't know where to find a technician that could do this, if someone knows one I would surely give it a go, I rang Roland Corp and they were no help they wouldn't put me thru on the phone to a technician they simply told me that it is the end of the road unfortunately kind regards Noeline

Ask a Question