Digging out of the attic

Fred Coulter

Collector of ancient keyboards
Reaction score
I've got three keyboards sitting in my attic (see below). I'd like some advice as to which I should try to get back into playing condition. It would sit on top of the Kronos 88 that should be arriving on Friday. No, not directly on; I've got a two level keyboard stand.

It probably wouldn't be in playable condition immediately, but I'd probably be able to get it up and running. (The one in worse condition is the DX7, but the SY99 does everything the DX7 does, so I'd probably put that lower on the priority list anyway.)

So which one would you recommend?

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
I'd say the Emu would probably give you the best choices of alternative sounds to the Kronos. You can probably find most of the Yamaha sounds already built in to the Kronos already.

Dunno if you have any of the expansion packs, but you can probably still find them on ebay.

Congrats on getting the Kronos BTW. How much did it set you back? Did you buy new or used?

Gary ;)

Fred Coulter

Reaction score
Thanks for the input. It may be mechanically in the best shape, so it would be the easiest to get back up and running.

Bought it new, from Sweetwater. They were running an interest free financing plan, AND I just got a check for some mineral rights that I didn't even know I owned. My father had given them to me and my sister several years ago but hadn't told us. Then he died a few years later. Then we got this really strange email about six months ago about mineral rights in Texas. So I figured I should buy myself something special. (And a new roof for the house.)

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
Assuming you actually have the cheque in hand and it wasn't just another Nigerian Prince scam congrats on the windfall.

Xmas came early to the Coulter household today :)

Is the significant other OK with the purchase?

Gary ;)

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
Dang! Should I call you J.D. Clampett from now on? :D

How big a cheque did you get? Did they strike platinum on your property? :D :D :D

Gary ;)

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
Wow! That harp is like the cost of a house!:eek:

Don't kid yourself. A harp is basically a piano standing on it's end without the keys or hammer mechanisms.

A typical piano has about 18 tons of tension on its strings while a full concert grand has closer to 30 tons.

5 grand for a full concert pedal harp is about as cheap as I have ever seen. Usually you pay that much for a piddly 3 octave Celtic Harp.

I am curious about tuning that beast though. Does the missus tune it herself or do you bring in a professional tuner and if so how often and much does it cost per pop?

Gary ;)

PS... Also, how much or how little does a bloody house cost in Australia these days? Here in Ontario 5 grand doesn't qualify for a down payment.

But I AM willing to sell you. my 2008 Pontiac Montana for that price :D :D :D

Rayblewit

Love Music / Love Life
Reaction score
PS... Also, how much or how little does a bloody house cost in Australia these days? Here in Ontario 5 grand doesn't qualify for a down payment.
I know you are kidding Gary:p
It was a tongue in cheek comparison I made.
Btw an average 3 bedroom house in Melbourne or Sydney could cost from say 700G up to 1 Million. aussie dollars. That's conservative and just average. Nothing special for those prices.

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
Average house in Toronto was just estimated at $720 something thousand here this week.

A lame little cottage 100 miles North of Toronto starts at about 100 grand.

If you enjoy tundra and blackflies and freezing your ass off in winter then you could buy a piece of wooded lot for about $20 a sq foot in the bush 300 miles North or more but be prepared to live without electricity, phone lines, cable or paved roads :D :D :D

To be honest, 95% of Canada's entire population lives within a hundred miles of the American border.

The rest is a moose and bear infested wasteland :p

Gary ;)

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
Most of Australia is vast space of nothing. Dessert mainly. We all live on the coast. (Well 95 percent of us)

DeSSert? Creme brule? Pie a la mode? Cheesecake? Baked Alaska? :D

/me would LOVE to live in a land made out of pastry :D :D :D

Gary ;)

Rayblewit

Love Music / Love Life
Reaction score
LOL
'Twas a typo.
Or maybe a land of milk and honey . . . . Perhaps!
Now I am going to scrutinise or scrutinize (whatever) your postings mr. Perfect rat:cool:.
Watch out. Make sure you dot your t's and cross your i's :D

Fred Coulter

Reaction score
It's a five octave Celtic harp. The cheapest concert harp I've seen is around eleven grand. Her current harp is also a Dusty String, but only twenty six strings.

As to who tunes it? Depends how far its drifted from concert pitch. If it's far off, I get to do it. But normal daily tuning is her job. Remember that other than pianos and organs, generally the player is responsible for tuning their instrument. That includes harpsichords and clavichords.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Gianni65

Latest Threads