Expansion memory copying

Reaction score
For AK-X10 - is it possible to copy a style or sound from expansion memory into user memory and then clear expansion memory for installing other packs?

Reaction score
I think that's not possible. I used as an example the by Medeli released Expansion Packs with new Styles. It was not possible to edit and copy them.

However, the Expansion Memory is not that small - are you sure the amount is critical for you?

Furthermore, user created Styles or styles converted using Grand Suite and written to a USB Stick, can be loaded directly from USB without loading to user or Expansion memory.

Reaction score
Thank you phoriwan.
One question to Grand Suite. When converting Yamaha styles, is it straitforward process or is there a need to also tweak some settings to get good style?

Reaction score
The process is quite easy and works almost on any style. Tried out many styles.

However, the resulting quality of the converted styles varies much. Some few converted styles sound good and are useable without any tweaking. Most of the converted styles need tweaking, which is not that easy for me, as I have no mentionable style editing experiences and the AKX10 has still some drawbacks in its style editor. If you have a good feeling for the single channels of a style and patience, you may replace bad sounding channels by replacing them with channels from factory styles. This is possible using a copy function, which fortunately is available on the AKX10.

Especially many styles with guitar strumming sound very strange and absolutely unusable after conversion to the AKX10. This is what bothered me most. However, if you are just interested in electronic music without guitar strumming, this noteworthy aspect regarding rather pop and rock styles might not be relevant for you.

So as a kind of summary: You must not rely on the possibility that your favorite styles are easily convertable to the AKX10.

Reaction score
0) I've started watching this topic (and may add others) as I have a Thomann AK-X1100 (Medeli AKX10 with less storage) on order. - I have no experience (that I can remember) editing PSR-styles, but I have edited Band-in-a-Box (BiaB) styles. (No, these are quite different, and their file format is a trade secret.)

1) A piece of software that can at least read and write PSR-styles (and maybe read BiaB styles; I haven't checked for some 15 years) is Harmony Assistant (macOS, Windows, Linux). It's software that uses music notation, so it may be "at home" for some and "oops!" for others. If I remember correctly, style files are on a special staff, all patterns in a row. - There is other software that at least can use PSR-styles, like by Jos Maas. You may want to visit his site even for resources.

2) Back ten, I was a member of the Yahoo Group on PSR-styles. I seem to remember that it was all but dead when Yahoo terminated the Groups. The group (like every Yahoo Group) had a file repository. I remember that some styles were way more elaborate than others. - Like everywhere else, everybody wanted all the good stuff for free, and contributed nothing. - I can tell from experience, how much effort can go into crafting a style. (I spent some time creating a simple BiaB-style in csardas (czardas) fashion (slow-medium-fast): just Upright Bass bowed and plucked and Bratsch ("viola for chords", so I used the Viola instrument), yet got tired.

3) I have used BiaB from 1995 to 2005 (but I have sometimes updated). I used to be reluctant to change styles. My work-around was: substituting the instruments in my song files. Like even selecting Rhythm instruments for a Pad part, and reversely. Or just muting unwanted parts. I remember adapting some Country style for (the middle part of) csardas by replacing the plucked Upright Bass with a bowed one, replacing the Banjo with a Dulcimer (or similar), and (I think) the Guitar with the Viola. I would play the melody (Violin) live on a wind controller (Yamaha WX5 and VL70-m). - Substitution by instruments of another nature may be a simple way of making a style work for you.

Sidebar:

4) I have a wide scope of music (in place and time), and I still consider the Hungarian accompaniment of Upright Bass, Bratsch and maybe Contra (Kontra? - a plucked and slammed Cello-like instrument) the strongest accompaniment I know. "Strongest" in the sense of "supporting the melody" and "maintaining the rhythm". Yet it's so simple (apart from catching it in a style)... ;-)

Reaction score
Thank you phoriwan.
One question to Grand Suite. When converting Yamaha styles, is it straitforward process or is there a need to also tweak some settings to get good style?
You can make it the easier way, or you can edit for a better final production. But passinng the style right away on GranSuite works fine for me.

Ask a Question