G'day from Sydney, Australia.

Reaction score
My name is Cameron and I was born in 1969 hence my name camo69. Anyway, I started playing piano age 4 as my father was a jazz pianist, but rock n roll & blues was a strong pull growing up in the 70s & 80's. I picked up drums to get into a band as a 13 yo but the keys always drew me back. These days I play mostly blues and like to emulate players like Reese Wynans although I still listen to Bill Evans and Art Tatum to name a few of many, on my dads blue note & verve LP's. I just bought a Roland FA-08 and am looking forward to getting to know it. I pick it up on Monday next, the 6th March. I can't wait as I was obsessed with getting a Korg Krome 88 for a long time but the bed action and a few other things that owners have mentioned slowed my interest. The Roland will be a great fit and now I have to work out whether to get a KC-150 or a KC-110 Roland amp? They are both the same price at the moment but the KC-150 seems to be the better of the two. Thoughts please? Thanks Cameron.

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score

Rayblewit

Love Music / Love Life
Reaction score
G'day mate!
Welcome to this spendid place.
There are a few Aussie's here. Me for one. I am in Melbourne but please don' thold that against me.
I play solo in the back room. Lol
My fav genre is jazz/blues. Just like yours.
The amp q. is out of my bounds but Happyrat1 is usually on the money.
Look forward to having you around Cam. cheers

Reaction score
I have to work out whether to get a KC-150 or a KC-110 Roland amp? They are both the same price at the moment but the KC-150 seems to be the better of the two. Thoughts please? Thanks Cameron.
Hey Cameron, welcome mate.

I've never used these amps personally but check out the below for some opinions. You'll probably have to listen to it your self to get a feel for whether you like it or not.

Personally I've never been a big fan of keyboard amps - I used to use bass combos but these days I use a JBL powered speaker.

http://forums.musicplayer.com/ubbthreads.php/topics/2248622/Roland_KC_110_Portable_Stereo_

http://forums.musicplayer.com/ubbthreads.php/topics/2593698/all/Advice_on_Keyboard_Monitor_Amp

Reaction score
Hello and welcome to the forum! :)
Thankyou very much. I was flattered with the welcomes from more than a few and look forward to bombarding you smarter folks about this FA-08 I just bought. It is huge!

Reaction score
Hi Cameron,

I've always envied people from musical families. My parents discouraged music as a "waste of time" when I was growing up.

As for amps, take a look at the Behringers. Great sound for half the price.

https://www.amazon.com/Behringer-K450FX-BEHRINGER-ULTRATONE/dp/B000MJ9EBA/

https://www.amazon.com/Behringer-K900FX-BEHRINGER-ULTRATONE/dp/B000LQ29XE/

Gary ;)
Thanks Gary. I didn't mention my mother. She was anti anything that Dad enjoyed so it was rare enough when he was home from work but even more rare when we could turn up the turntable & play along with our favourites. He died a few months after he retired, I think the thought of living with mum was too much! The main thing is now I am nearly 50 and have stopped punishing myself for imagined shortcomings so I buy myself a new board or guitar every now and then. No one should be without music ever as It has endless possibility's.Anyway, thanks for your welcome and drop me a line anytime you like, cheers Camo.

Reaction score
Hey Cameron, welcome mate.

I've never used these amps personally but check out the below for some opinions. You'll probably have to listen to it your self to get a feel for whether you like it or not.

Personally I've never been a big fan of keyboard amps - I used to use bass combos but these days I use a JBL powered speaker.

http://forums.musicplayer.com/ubbthreads.php/topics/2248622/Roland_KC_110_Portable_Stereo_

http://forums.musicplayer.com/ubbthreads.php/topics/2593698/all/Advice_on_Keyboard_Monitor_Amp
Thanks CowboyNQ. NQ Cowboys fan or something else? I am not a fan of keyboard amps either, as I have valve amps for guitar & bass etc. Never had a keyboard amp so open to any alternatives. Could you elaborate on your JBL spkrs pls? Thanks Camo

Reaction score
G'day mate!
Welcome to this spendid place.
There are a few Aussie's here. Me for one. I am in Melbourne but please don' thold that against me.
I play solo in the back room. Lol
My fav genre is jazz/blues. Just like yours.
The amp q. is out of my bounds but Happyrat1 is usually on the money.
Look forward to having you around Cam. cheers
I am from Melbourne originally. I came up here in 1996 after 26 years in Melbourne, mostly bayside, Balaclava, StKilda, Brunswick & Fitzroy. I worked in hotels in all those suburbs over the years. Great city, great people. Thanks for the hello, look forward to knowing you all a bit better, cheers Camo

Reaction score
NQ Cowboys fan or something else? I am not a fan of keyboard amps either, as I have valve amps for guitar & bass etc. Never had a keyboard amp so open to any alternatives. Could you elaborate on your JBL spkrs pls? Thanks Camo
Yep a Cowboys fan.

I use a JBL EON 515XT but I've had it for a few years and I think these days you could get something newer and better.

I'm loathe to make too many recommendations as I only know what I know when it comes to speakers, there's a lot out there I haven't tried. Maybe if you let us know what you want to use the amp for someone could chime in with their own experiences. I use the JBL for rehearsal and on-stage monitoring when playing live.

Reaction score
Yep a Cowboys fan.

I use a JBL EON 515XT but I've had it for a few years and I think these days you could get something newer and better.

I'm loathe to make too many recommendations as I only know what I know when it comes to speakers, there's a lot out there I haven't tried. Maybe if you let us know what you want to use the amp for someone could chime in with their own experiences. I use the JBL for rehearsal and on-stage monitoring when playing live.

Reaction score
I am always interested in peoples opinions as every user has different expectations and there is rarely one thing that satisfies everybodys playing style or ears. Go the Cows, love JT, I am actually a Roosters fan but a big rap on Broncos and Intrust cup etc. Matty Bowen & JT back in the day was always a pleasure. Korg Krome 88 or Roland FA-08? Love your thoughts if you have experience with either. Cheers Camo

Reaction score
Matty Bowen & JT back in the day was always a pleasure
For sure mate - JT still awesome. My youngest son (born in Mackay) used to have two Matty Bowen posters on his wall when he was little and would say "Goodnight Matty Bowen" to both of them before he went to bed at night. One of my good mates is a massive Chooks fan, so I always have a soft spot for them.

Korg Krome 88 or Roland FA-08?
I own a Krome 61, and I reckon it's the best thing since sliced bread, EXCEPT FOR the action, which isn't that good. Unfortunately the Krome 88 also has a pretty ordinary action - it's fully weighted but I'm not a fan. I see from your original post you've heard similar feedback from others.

On the plus side the Krome sounds fantastic, is super versatile and incredibly deep for the price. I can pretty much make it do anything apart from quality analogue simulation, which sounds a bit "thin".

Having said that I hear really good things about the FA-08 too - it has the advantage of a built-in sample pad which the Krome doesn't have. I've never used one so I can't really comment on it, other than it seems to be feature-packed for the price, just like the Krome. It probably comes down to personal taste on the UI, action, overall sound, etc.

When I bought my Krome the FA-08 hadn't come out yet - so the Krome was really in a class of its own back then. I had a look at a Yamaha MOXF6 at the time but I get along much better with Korg's UI.

I feel like you probably couldn't go wrong with either. I also note you've already pulled the trigger on an FA-08 and I'm sure you'll enjoy using it. Maybe you could give us all your impressions after you've had it for a little while.

Last edited:

Fred Coulter

Collector of ancient keyboards
Reaction score
My parents discouraged music as a "waste of time" when I was growing up.

There's interesting pro-music propaganda available from the Royal Conservatory of Music: http://www.musicdevelopmentprogram.org/students-and-parents/benefits-music-development-program. The first half of the web page is why study music, the second half of the web page is why the RCM is great. For those not in Canada and the United States, it's unimportant why the RCM is great since it's not available to you. (Although there are equivalent organizations in many parts of the world, and the English ABRSM (http://wws.abrsm.org/) is available in most parts of the world.) I'm sure there's other good data available about why studying music is a good thing.

Ask a Question