Haven't even taken delivery, and Casio WK-7600 might be obsolete!

Reaction score
Charlie, I wonder if you're suffering a bit from "analysis paralysis"?

The WK-7600 is no less of a keyboard today than it was yesterday. Has what was fair become at once so foul?

It is blissfully unaware of the comings and goings of NAMM. It sits quietly in its box, waiting to feel the glorious fluorescent light of a home studio on its sturdy black plastic exterior.

The arrival of newer models have not diminished the fidelity of the WK-7600's 820 tones. Its 76 keys still await the pleasing contact of human fingers to coax it into full-throated 64-voice polyphonic bliss.

The only change is in the external environment: Newer models with amazing features, trumpeted from the parapets by those charged with marketing the latest and greatest upon the unsuspecting public. We hear these strident attestations and hark in wondrous awe:

"Acoustic and intelligent multi expression", "next generation sound source", "phase recorder with four pads", "re-designed chassis", "enhanced speaker systems".

Inevitably, we respond. We simply must. At first one by one, and then in groups of three, then four, then ten, now twenty until individuals cannot be distinguished from the masses. Our first tentative enquiries have now become a cacophonous stampede as we rush headlong to the newer models, eager for our first experience of their dynamic 15 watt speakers and 61 seductively ergonomic keys.

And soon, as the world completes yet another 24-hour revolution about its jauntily tilted axis, the masses are sated, as are Casio's shareholders.

That is, until the next models arrive...

And still, the tried, tested and proven WK-7600 waits patiently.

Reaction score
The WK-7600 has received criticism from a number of sources for its sound reproduction, and you can be certain that Casio is aware of this. Given the presence of the new AiX sound engine on a $175 USD keyboard, it would be hardly surprising to see them roll the technology out on a WK-7600 successor. The only question is, 'when'? >Charlie

Reaction score
Hi there I know this post is a couple years old, but thought I'd try :) Wondering what you ended up with (CTX? WK?) and how it turned out.

I have a Yamaha P-125 digital piano but I'm looking to add a more portable option (batteries + lighter) for jam sessions, possibly busking etc. I'm also hoping for whatever I get to also provide some extra decent sound options (non piano instruments etc) to include in recordings I make with my P-125, and some type of ability to create a custom drum track (even use a built in one, manually adding fills etc then add another few signature bits manually using key triggered drums) to output to an audio file I can then use in performances.

I've been agonizing between the Casio CTX line (700 or 3000) and the WK arrangers (6600 and 7600). The WK ones seem to be getting a bit old, and none of these models are available for me to look at in my area, so it would be a cross my thumbs amazon order. I did try out the super cheap CTS-300, and for the money and portability it would be a fun thing to have to take to the beach, etc but it's a bit basic for what I'm after.

CTX-700:
I like the $, portability, the 6 track recorder (could make 2 track drum recordings that would probably work), and the velocity sensitive "expression" sounds seem awesome, and the basic piano sounds great. Wish it had line outs and ability to save to audio.

CTX-3000:
A bit heavier, much nicer speakers and adds a custom rhythm creator (but that might be overkill for my needs, I don't want to spend all my time programming)

WK-6600/7600:
I love the 76 keys, and they both have proper line outs and even mic in jacks (the 7600 even has an instrument in as well) but these came out in 2014 so not sure if this is a wise choice . . .

Yamaha PSR-E373:
Is available in my area and has a great piano sound, built in audio interface (huge feature for me - have this on the P-125 and the audio recording quality is stellar), only a 2 track recorder although that is prob enough for my simple drum track need. Some really nice expression sounds on acoustic instruments, but triggered with a button you have to hold down instead of a pedal? Seems kinda wrong.

Any updates would be cool to here . . . and yes . . . I too suffer from analysis paralysis :D Should really patent that it's awesome!

Peace out

Reaction score
Yeah - I'm now at the PSR EW410 and the Korg EK-50; I don't want to spend too much more though since this really will be a second board for me. Thanks again!

Reaction score
PSR EW410 £360

I should have said that the Korg EK50 @ £340 has a bigger version in the EK50L which has addional sounds and styles plus twice the output power, and it retails at £429.

Korg also have the Pa300 @ £530 which is their first full featured Arranger.

The first Yamaha imo worthy of consideration is the PSR SX600 @ £630

Reaction score
Hi, Pianotone... sorry for not getting back to you sooner. Since I created this thread, I've acquired a Casio WK-7600, and a Casio PX-560. I don't find the samples on the WK-7600 particularly convincing, and I don't think I'd recommend it. The 560 is quite nice, but it's not in the price bracket I think you're targeting. Jeremy See on YouTube (and others) have been quite critical of the low polyphony count (I think 64) on the CT-X series of keyboards. They sound great and they're fine if you're performing live, but if you lay down 2 or more tracks at the same time on your DAW, the instrument starts to fall apart. And of course, they're not a full 88 key board. For sound quality in performance only circumstances - not studio work - the CT-X series are an interesting choice. For me, the PX-S3000 at roughly $1000 CAD (perhaps 5-600 GBP) is quite compelling; it offers 192 polyphony, the sounds of the CT-X series, 88 keys, and more. Downside are the two sensor - not three sensor - keys. I expected Casio to bring out a successor to the PX-560 at NAMM this year, but it didn't happen. Jeremy See has done several YouTube videos on the CT-X series; you might gain some insights there. Hope all this helps... >Charlie

Reaction score
Hi, Pianotone... sorry for not getting back to you sooner. Since I created this thread, I've acquired a Casio WK-7600, and a Casio PX-560. I don't find the samples on the WK-7600 particularly convincing, and I don't think I'd recommend it. The 560 is quite nice, but it's not in the price bracket I think you're targeting. Jeremy See on YouTube (and others) have been quite critical of the low polyphony count (I think 64) on the CT-X series of keyboards. They sound great and they're fine if you're performing live, but if you lay down 2 or more tracks at the same time on your DAW, the instrument starts to fall apart. And of course, they're not a full 88 key board. For sound quality in performance only circumstances - not studio work - the CT-X series are an interesting choice. For me, the PX-S3000 at roughly $1000 CAD (perhaps 5-600 GBP) is quite compelling; it offers 192 polyphony, the sounds of the CT-X series, 88 keys, and more. Downside are the two sensor - not three sensor - keys. I expected Casio to bring out a successor to the PX-560 at NAMM this year, but it didn't happen. Jeremy See has done several YouTube videos on the CT-X series; you might gain some insights there. Hope all this helps... >Charlie
Hi Charlie thanks for the input especially on the WK. I wonder if Casio has any intentions of updating that line . . . I actually looked at the PXS 1000/3000 pretty intensively before buying my P-125; I wasn't a fan of the action (I know pro's that love it, so it's definitely a personal thing) and I'm also not a fan of the smooth non tactile buttons (I'm too old for those ;) I'd probably jump at the CT-X 700 given the $ since it has the newer sound chip and 32 registrations, but you can't adjust relative layer/split volumes and I do that quite a bit. The Yamaha has great sounds and the built in audio interface, but only 9 registrations (ugh).

The Korg EK-50 does look fantastic; 4 layers and all the preset sounds that are already layered and effected is such an awesome feature; but I could buy 2 of the Yamaha's for that price.

The analysis paralysis continues . . . ;)

Reaction score
P125 voice list.

Good keyboard, limited voices.

AE72ED35-A70C-4F01-AEBD-43CD32A9C205.jpeg

Reaction score
P125 voice list.

Good keyboard, limited voices.

View attachment 2207
Yeah there aren't that many voices on my P-125 but the ones that are on it are fantastic; and the rhythms are basic but very well implemented and easy to access, and the Smart Pianist app adds unlimited registrations/presets (that you can name - awesome for a set list). And the built in audio interface is super useful and makes great quality recordings. That's why I'm after a basic arranger - to supplement the voices I have access to for recordings, to have something light and portable as a couch keyboard for writing etc and also a decent busking option. And also to build and record custom backing tracks that I can then play along with on the P-125.

Reaction score
Just looked at a CTX 3000 iirc. Keys felt cheap and flimsy compared to the WK-245 that was on display below. I am a complete novice but that made a huge impression on me.

Reaction score
Just looked at a CTX 3000 iirc. Keys felt cheap and flimsy compared to the WK-245 that was on display below. I am a complete novice but that made a huge impression on me.

The CTX range is imo lacking in quite a few areas, keybed, build quality but most problematic is the operating system.

Saving grace is the included sounds which are probably of better quality than the WK series .

I did try a CTX5000 for a weekend, it was supposed to be a stop gap arranger. Flack OS was the cause of its return.

In all honesty you would be better off with a Korg EK50 or a Yamaha PSR E 4xx series, the Korg does not cost much more than the Casio (+£30) whereas the Yamaha is over £100 more.

Ask a Question