Hello everyone need some help here.

Reaction score
I purchased an Arturia Essential 49 Midi Keyboard and I use a usb extension cable to make it reach from the computer to the keyboard. When I plug in headphones and play I get this crackly sound when I hit the keys sometimes more so when I hit the keys harder. At first I thought it was my headphones so I got another pair but it still happens. Could it be my computer or the usb cable doing something? Not sure where to post this but if anyone could help or direct me to where I could get help I'd appreciate it. Thanks!

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
First of all it depends on how long these cables are.

If they're too long they will introduce some resistance noise.

Secondly it depends if your computer is a laptop with onboard sound or if you are using a desktop with a separate soundcard.

Assuming it's a laptop it could be a loose headphone jack on the laptop.

If it is a laptop you might want to invest in some wireless bluetooth headphones and use the laptop's bluetooth audio for a less noisy experience.

Or you could invest in a USB soundcard or audio interface to bypass the noisy jack in the computer.

I can't say for certain which applies in your case but one of these solutions should work for you.

Gary ;)

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
Is the soundcard on the motherboard or is it in an internal PCIX slot?

This could also effect noise leakage if the soundcard and USB chips are on the same board.

Try a shorter cable. If it persists then consider adding a USB Soundcard to the unit to play back your VSTis.

Gary ;)

Reaction score
I have the very same MIDI keyboard and do not have that issue as such but the keyboard action is definately not as it should be for a keyboard costing what it does.

I am even considering trading in mine for the Arturia Keylab 61.

If you can it may be worthwhile connecting it up to an iPad / Android / another PC and seeing what the end result is.

If it still persists then a return for a refund would be the best course of action

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
Yeah, the soundcard is onboard and it doesn't have built in bluetooth.

You have two options.

1) Buy a USB soundcard and plug it into the headphones for audio output.

or 2) buy a USB Bluetooth dongle and get wireless Bluetooth Headphones to listen with.

Option one is the cheapest and if it works you need go no farther.

USB Soundcards can be had dirt cheap on Amazon. You can even buy them with USB hubs built in so it doesn't cost you a slot.

One of these should do the job.

https://www.amazon.com/UGREEN-External-Adapter-Headphone-Microphone/dp/B01HPMHOY0/

Gary ;)

Reaction score
I don't think the problem is the keyboard col. It sounds to me like poor design isolation on the motherboard between the audio and USB sections.

Another option is to buy a PCIX soundcard and install it in a free internal slot.

One of these might work nicely.

https://www.amazon.com/Creative-Blaster-Audigy-Performance-Headphone/dp/B00EO6X4XG/

Gary ;)

Which is why they are best trying it with another PC or iPad before spending cash on additional kit.

If it persists on another device it is the keyboard that is at fault.

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
One final suggestion before you pull the trigger on a USB soundcard.

Try plugging the Keyboard into a different USB slot on the desktop.

ie. If it's plugged into a front port move it to a back port. If it's plugged in back move it to a front one. Also try the USB 2.0 and the USB 3.0 ports and see if that makes any difference.

Gary ;)

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
Which is why they are best trying it with another PC or iPad before spending cash on additional kit.

If it persists on another device it is the keyboard that is at fault.

The problem with that Col is Arturia's crazy licensing and DRM on their soft instruments. They only allow a total of 5 activations on the software and it would be foolish to waste an activation on an issue that's clearly poorly designed noise isolation in the computer.

Gary ;)

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
BTW, judging by the specs it's clearly a no name Chinese motherboard marketed to gamers so it's very likely this board has some design flaws.

If it were a name brand board like an Asus or a Gigabyte they would have mentioned it in the specs.

Gary ;)

Reaction score
That may well be the case Gary but the Op still should rule out a keyboard problem before spending any more cash.

If the keyboard is defective then Arturia’s activations mean squat, a defective keyboard should be returned for a refund from he seller.

The Op has not given any indication of the purchase ie new or second user.

Reaction score
Tried pluggin in the USB to back port instead of the front and still had the problem so I'm gonna try a USB soundcard.

Ask a Question