Help choosing a new 88 keys midi keyboard !

Reaction score
Hello to everyone;
I'm about to buy a full lenght keyboard, to keep improving as a piano player who like to make some music aswell.
I would really like to hear some comments/comparison between those 3 models that happens to suit my budget:
1) Yamaha p115;
2) M-Audio hammer 88
3)Studiologic sl88 studio
i'm looking for something "sturdy" with as much piano feel as possible for my budget :D

Ty a lot for your attention!
Patrizio :)

Reaction score
Hello Gary ! Ty for your reply!
I'm italian, and my budget is around 500 € but i can increase a little for something that's really worth it XD

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
Take a look at the used market on Criagslist and local classifieds for a used DGX-650 or DGX-640 or a PX-350.

Bargains can often be found in the used market as people upgrade or give up trying to learn all the time.

Gary ;)

SeaGtGruff

I meant to play that note!
Reaction score
I've been thinking of possibly getting an M-Audio Hammer 88, myself.

M-Audio does not have a great reputation for their MIDI keyboards, although I've never had any trouble with my M-Audio Axiom 61-II (not to be confused with the cheaper Keystation models).

I've seen user reviews from people who absolutely love their new M-Audio Hammer 88. And based on some of the other brands and models mentioned in their reviews, these are people with experience with stage pianos and more highly-regarded brands of MIDI controllers.

The main things holding me back from ordering a Hammer 88 (besides the fact that an 88-note keyboard is in my case a luxury want rather than a burning need) is that it doesn't have aftertouch sensitivity and has hardly any controls-- although aftertouch isn't essential to me, and I already have a couple of other non-keyboard controllers with plenty of pads, buttons, sliders, and knobs.

Reaction score
I don't need controls at all, so the hammer would be a good choice, but I would like to know if the keys are as good as the other keyboards that are in the 550 euro range.

Btw I can get the p115 for a good deal (490 euro), do you think it's a valid keyboard for this price?

Last edited:

SeaGtGruff

Reaction score
Well, I have no hands-on experience with any of the keyboards you're considering, so I'm in the same boat as you; I've even considered going for a P-xx model, such as the P-115 or P-45/71. I'm reluctant to pick anything for myself until I've had a chance to put my hands on one in a store for a while to see what I think about the feel and response.

Reaction score
Try before buy would be optimal for sure, but where I live there are no big music shops unfortunately :(

SeaGtGruff

Reaction score
I hear you! There are a few stores in my area, but by "my area" I mean I have to drive close to an hour to get there, as they're in nearby larger cities, not the smaller city I live in. Watching a lot of online videos is fine as far as getting an idea of how particular keyboards sound-- although videos aren't the same as hearing them in person-- but they don't help at all for getting an idea of how the keyboards feel. If there are no stores reasonably close by where you can try out the keyboards in person, the best you can hope for is to pick a reliable online store that has a very good return policy coupled with very fast delivery, so that if you don't like the keyboard you bought they'll let you return it to try out a different one.

Reaction score
That's a good plan;
btw i guess i'm going to organize a little trip to a music shop and try different keyboards here then :)

Rayblewit

Love Music / Love Life
Reaction score
That is a very good idea Patrizio. Take the trip.Be sure you get a hands on feel.
It will be a long term investment and one needs to be comfortable with it.
You know I live in the city and have lots of music stores to choose from but even so music stores are wide spread and can be an hour or more between suburbs. But you need to do it.
Good luck.
Ray

Last edited:

Ask a Question