Need help choosing first keyboard

Reaction score
Hello. I am a guitar player who is looking to learn the keyboard as well. I am trying to find my first keyboard. I am trying to decide between an older Yamaha PSR-500 for $30, and a Casio CTK-720 for $50. I honestly like the sound of the Yamaha better. The Casio sounds a bit too electronic in my opinion. I will eventually be using the keyboard for recording and such (once I learn how to play it). I'm just wondering what everyone's opinions are between the two. I don't know much about this stuff. Lol.

A

Advertising

Rayblewit

Love Music / Love Life
Reaction score
Hello and welcome @mairj40 .
The Yamaha psr500 for$30 . . Wow! So cheap. I looked at a demo vid of it just now and albeit an old model, it had heaps of sounds and features. It would be ideal for learning.
I would be snapping it up as long as it works okay. Can you try it out before you buy it? Where are you located btw?
Cheers ray

A

Advertising

Reaction score
Welcome.

I would say that the Yamaha would be the one to go for but then you said Recording!

That raised a couple of doubts

Do check that Drivers are still computer available for it and hunt our reviews and MIDI users as Yamahas can be a bit problematic setting up for recording or as a MIDI controller

It is about 2010 when this keyboard was available and hence it is getting on a bit for a Yamaha keyboard of this level.

Good luck with your buy.

Reaction score
Welcome.

I would say that the Yamaha would be the one to go for but then you said Recording!

That raised a couple of doubts

Do check that Drivers are still computer available for it and hunt our reviews and MIDI users as Yamahas can be a bit problematic setting up for recording or as a MIDI controller

It is about 2010 when this keyboard was available and hence it is getting on a bit for a Yamaha keyboard of this level.

Good luck with your buy.
The only PSR-500 I know about was released in the early '90s. Casio looks like it's from a similar age (not able to find much info). Your pick, if they are both around the same age, I would go with the Yamaha.

A

Advertising

Ask a Question