Need help with choosing electric piano

Reaction score
Hello

I've been looking at buying electric piano. I can't really try any of them. I can only read internet reviews and watch youtube videos.

I've been playing on and off for 15 years. For the last few years I've almost only played using piano sound. And I was always annoyed by bad keys. I've decided now to buy decent piano.

I was thinking about Kawai pianos. Kawai ES-8 B (1600 euros) and much more expensive Kawai MP-11, but it has wooden keys and different mechanism for the keys.

What I was wondering, having never played on actual piano, is there any need to buy more expensive MP-11? How different do wooden keys feel in contrast to plastic keys? I am also little afraid that if I buy ES-8 B that I will not be happy with the keys.I intend to have this piano for a long time.

On the other side, so far I've been playing on crappy keyboards from Casio. I am sure that anything from Kawai will be major improvement.

Are there any suggestions?

Rayblewit

Love Music / Love Life
Reaction score
. I can't really try any of them. I
Why not?
How do you intend to buy one?
Buying Online?
I personally think to spend big bucks on an unknown quantity is dangerous. Call me an old fuddy duddy if you want but you said it yourself . . .
I am also little afraid that if I buy ES-8 B that I will not be happy with the keys.I intend to have this piano for a long time.
So I am not qualified to advise you which model you should choose. Others here who know about Kawai may offer advice. But seriously you are the one who will be playing it and if it was me I would want to get a hands on feel for it. Test drive the woooden keys vs. the plastic keys for yourself. Don't rely on other peoples personal feelings.

are there any suggestions?
Yes . . Spend some time in choosing to satisfy your own desire. Go to the shop and play some tunes on both models. Buy the piano supporting your local retailer. So what if it costs a little more than buying online. You will be getting what you have physically seen and touched.

Ray :)

Rayblewit

Love Music / Love Life
Reaction score
There you go:)
Best of luck in choosing.
As for wooden keys v plastic keys, I think Fred my have a clue. He is more experienced with pianos. He will be away for another week or so. I hope he can chip in then.
:)Cheers Ray

Fred Coulter

Collector of ancient keyboards
Reaction score
Sorry, but it depends on how much of a stick in the mud you are. Some people want that Steinway feel, but others are more flexible. (I grew up with Steinways, but my first synths were plastic keys.)

Ask a Question