Help with Yamaha styles

Reaction score
Looking for general advice. We use a Yamaha PSR S775 for our live duo cover song shows (we have four of them - one for live and a backup, and one for the studio and a backup). My husband has heavily edited different styles, and of course they are saved onto a thumb drive. We are adding a brass section and a drummer for some bigger shows coming up and we don't know how, if it's even possible, to have two thumb drives of the same styles, one edited for the duo with more "stuff", and one for the bigger group with maybe just a simple click track for the drummer to follow along with and without the brass parts. I am not the keyboard player, but trying to help him figure this out. My thought was with, like a computer, you could create a folder of the "complete" songs, then somehow load those in, edit/elete the things we don't need and save the second set of stuff onto the second thumb drive. That way we have a "big show" thumb drive and then a "duo show" thumb drive. He says this doesn't work (he is NOT a computer user), as the minute he removes one thumb drive everything goes away. That doesn't make sense to me. is there a way to do what we are trying to do? And if so, can you point me in the right direction for step by step instructions? Seems like it would be helpful if you could copy the styles on a Mac desktop computer so you could duplicate the thumb drive contents, then edit one, but it doesn't appear that I can do that. Thanks in advance, all.

Reaction score
Welp, when we play with the other five pieces, we go from song to song to song rather quickly and in order to avoid more dead time than there already is (the set lists change with every show). My thought was to have stuff set up on a separate thumb drive for each show, in order, and he doesn't have to do anything but go to the next song, as he also emcees between tunes a little as well. I just got the manual out and am trying to get a personal grip on how things are stored there.....it's unlike my Mac desktop computer, so hopefully I can help him figure it out. thanks for your advice.

Reaction score
I see two possibilities to solve this.
1. One USB stick - in your USB stick create folder called e.g. Big Show and copy all styles there. Then edit these „Big Show“ styles. After that, when selecting root directory, you'll have „Normal Show“ styles available, and when selecting Big Show directory, you'll have „Big Show“ styles available.
2. Two USB sticks - without using computer you can create a folder in your keyboard and copy there all styles from your USB stick. Then attach another USB stick called e.g. Big Show and move all styles from that new folder onto USB stick. Edit them and you have two sticks for different shows.

Reaction score
Dear Mr. Lacko, that makes perfect sense. Thank you so much. Greg (my husband) has never really worked with a computer to understand folders and file storage, and I know nothing about how the Yamaha is set up....very familiar with my Mac and how that works. The manual is a bit enigmatic for me....and the terminology foreign. I will get out the manual and see if I can't figure it out so I can teach him. Thank you so much....I'm sure everyone's rolling their eyes at the inanity of my question! LOL

Reaction score
Can I ask you one more thing, O guru of mine? Is there a way to connect the PSR S775 to my PC and have the folder/file hierarchy visible on the screen? And wouldn't it be awesome to be able to drag and drop and rearrange stuff within? Possible? Or no.....

Reaction score
Dear Robin, I am afraid that such connection between S775 and computer (to see file/folder hierarchy) is not possible. Of course you can create folders and copy files in or from/to USB stick on your computer. If you are more familiar with your Mac than with your husband's S775, then sure this is better way. And probably the two USB sticks option („Normal Show“ and „Big Show“ sticks) would also be better.

Ask a Question