Hi from Idaho

Reaction score
Hi,
Just thought I'd take a minute and introduce myself. I'm Amy Boyack, from Idaho. I've been playing piano since I was 5. I love it so much. Even though it's not my full time job at this time, I still have my studio and my students. I'm just starting to branch out and take students online from all over the world. I've had people contact me from Belgium, Greenland, and Greece, so far. This is a great forum and I'm glad to be part of it. If there is any way I can help you out, let me know. See you around.

Reaction score
Thanks. It's a new adventure. I'm sure there will be some quirks at first, but I'm willing to try.

Reaction score
Welcome! We've got a lot of performer-types here; it's nice to have people who are more teacher-types as well (not saying that you can't perform, only that you seem more focused on teaching).

I'm curious to know if you know of any good resources for beginning teachers. I've been approached by friends about the possibility of teaching their daughter when she's old enough (she's not even one yet), and while I can easily find good beginner books and have a good idea of how I'd want the balance to be between the various aspects of being a musician (sight-reading, playing by ear, technique, pieces, improv, and basic composition), I'm still at a loss for where to start.

I'd also want to be sure that, as a teacher, I knew what things to look for with regard to posture, pedal use (I tend to use the sustain pedal for most music myself, even if it's not called for, a habit that a good teacher would've cured me of if they'd caught it when I was young), ways to avoid developing tendonitis, that kind of thing. Any suggestions you might have regarding books or other materials here would be most appreciated!

Reaction score
I love using the book, How to Teach Piano Successfully by James Bastien as a resource. Of course, he publishes the Bastien method piano series, which is a wonderful series because it teaches in all the key signatures, instead of just C. I also like the Farber Method and Alfred Series. Farber method focuses on correct posture, and feel as well as weight of fingers and arms, etc. Alfred is just a good pace and easy to teach from. I hope this was answering your question, if not, feel free to ask me more specifically about what I missed.

Reaction score
Thanks, it probably does, although I'll obviously have to head to a music store and take a look at them in detail. I'm in no rush now, but want to keep an eye out for good resources so that I'm prepared before I actually start teaching.

Reaction score
Bastien! That brings back memories! Looking back through them now I realise quite how good they were. I seem to remember his music theory books that accompany the piano series being quite good too.

Reaction score
I really like Bastien books because they get you in all the key signatures quickly. However, I don't use them exclusively. In fact, I don't really have a favorite method. I kind of choose methods and music depending on the student's age, ability, learning style and interests. I use different books with each student, it seems.

Reaction score
Hiya Amy... first off I'd like to say hello!

I find myself in possibly a different situation to yours, but similar in some ways!

As you will see from my signature, I am a piano tuner by trade - and when I've completed
my work I usually spend a few minutes playing whatever comes into my mind at that moment.
As a rule this would be music I've heard on the radio in my car on the way to the job.
I've lost count of the times I've been asked "can you teach me how to play like that?".

But I can't...

I just don't know how to convey what comes naturally to me in a simple explanation to people who are so eager to learn.

Have you any suggestions?

Reaction score
Well, first let me say, I'm jealous. I would love to play by ear, but I am so tied to the notes with all my classical training. I can pick out a tune and usually get it pretty close on the first try, but adding an accompaniment and all at the same time is a bit trickier. I know many people can do it, but my strength is sight reading, not improvising.

If people want to learn to play by ear, I would think they need to just sit down and play stuff, learn some chords for the left hand and theory about key signatures and such. Then, they need to be able to hear a note and play it on the piano. Playing by ear is a totally different skill than reading notes. Not that you shouldn't learn both, but if people want to learn to play like you, they need to learn the skills you use to play.

Try breaking it down into the basic skills you learned when you were learning to play. Probably, you sat down and tried to pick out a tune that you knew with one finger. Then, as you got better, you probably tried to add a little harmony. Did you learn the chord method? Memorizing chords that you could use for a fake book or lead sheet? It's hard to remember how we learned to do something that is so natural to us, now.

I think the main thing is to teach the way you know. Don't try to teach something that doesn't feel comfortable to you. Be honest with your strengths and pass those on to your students. People learn differently. People who play by ear and improvise will be more drawn to a teacher that plays the same way.

Of course, we should all encourage our students to learn the skills that we lack as well. For instance, I need to spend time letting students explore while I play an accompaniment. You are probably better at composing as well, since you play by ear. Have your students compose little songs and you can help them write them down.

There are some books that spend a lot of time letting the student improvise while the teacher plays a basic chord progression, maybe limiting them to five notes or three notes.

Reaction score
Hey Amy - quick reply... I've just written another post relating to this subject!

Let me know what you think? - it could open up a whole new discussion

which may be of interest?...!

Ask a Question