I'm shopping for a MIDI interface (Separate, or part of audio interface? Focusrite, PreSonus, or Yamaha?)

Reaction score
I'm shopping for an audio interface.

The PreSonus Audiobox USB 96 is $99 and can take 2 mics and/or 1/4" instrument cables (or one of each), plus it has MIDI i/o, and is usually $99.

The Focusrite Scarlett 4i4 has the same i/o, but for $229.

The Focusrite also has the 2i2 for $129, which has everything the other two interfaces have, except MIDI i/o.

I have a cheap MIDI to USB interface. It works with Finale, Cakewalk by Bandlab, and NCH Mixpad. None of the other software I have tried can recognize my MIDI keyboard, and I'm not sure if the problem is the interface, or the incredibly limited MIDI implementation (I have a Clavinova CLP-30 made in 1985).

The problem might be active sensing.

Someone on this forum recommended the Yamaha UX16 interface, and now I see there is a Bluetooth version, Yamaha MD-BT01 Bluetooth Wireless MIDI Interface. Both of these are around $55.

Someone on this forum suggested that I get an interface that would allow me to turn off or block active sensing. Does anyone know how to tell if any of these options have that feature? Or how I could find out? Just asking each manufacturer?

Obviously, I'd rather spend less money. People really tend to recommend the Focusrite Scarlett interfaces because of their preamps, though the PreSonus clearly also has very good preamps (Class A, whatever that means). All else being equal, I'd get the Focusrite, however, for the same i/o, it costs an extra $130.

On the other hand, if I need a separate MIDI interface anyway, then I'm possibly better off with the Focusrite Scarlett 2i2, which has potentially better preamps for only an extra $30 versus the Presonus Audiobox.

I need to get my interface during Black Friday/Cyber Monday sales. I'd appreciate any feedback! Thanks.

Reaction score
I recently bought the PreSonus Audiobox iTwo on recommendation of my rep at Sweetwater. I'm very happy with it.

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
The thread title says MIDI interface. The thread says Audio interface. Which one is it?

This looks like a very handy little piece of gear at Amazon.

Oodles of MIDI ports to populate as your gear collection grows :D :D :D

Gary ;)

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
BTW, simply out of caution I avoid MIDI equipment that requires proprietary drivers. What happens 10 years from now when the company goes out of business or simply drops support altogether?

Gary ;)

Reaction score
I'm going to either get an audio interface with MIDI i/o, or a MIDI interface, or just keep using my existing MIDI interface. So, all of the above?

The thread title says MIDI interface. The thread says Audio interface. Which one is it?

This looks like a very handy little piece of gear at Amazon.

Oodles of MIDI ports to populate as your gear collection grows :D :D :D

Gary ;)

Reaction score
I am very attracted to the $99 price of PreSonus Audiobox USB 96, but most people tell me I'm better off with the preamps on the Focusrite Scarlett series. I wish I could actually hear them in person and compare them! No chance of doing that during a pandemic, unless I buy one of each and return the one I don't want to keep. I'm not sure I need one at all, but I figure, if I do need to upgrade to an audio interface and XLR mic, I better get something with MIDI i/o because my MIDI interface is very low end.

I recently bought the PreSonus Audiobox iTwo on recommendation of my rep at Sweetwater. I'm very happy with it.

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
Mentioned in the above thread is the Behringer UMC404HD which is competitively priced and requires no drivers to work 100%. It is fully USB-MIDI Class Compliant and will work with absolutely any operating system.

I'm seriously thinking of picking one up this Friday when the sales hit,

Gary ;)

Reaction score
Mentioned in the above thread is the Behringer UMC404HD which is competitively priced and requires no drivers to work 100%. It is fully USB-MIDI Class Compliant and will work with absolutely any operating system.

I'm seriously thinking of picking one up this Friday when the sales hit,

Gary ;)

I have the little Brother ofthe unit Gary suggests.

Mine is the 2 channel 204 and it simply worked straight out if the box and has little noise.

I am no MIDI expert but if you do go further with Focusrite do take note that some of their models are designed specifically for guitar and mike.

Where not buy the Behringer Gary suggests off that well known online retailer, at least you then will have 30 days to return it?

Ask a Question