Ipad keyboard attachments

Reaction score
I have been using an apex stand for several years now. And I can easily attach an iPad attachment to it using various methods that I have created over the years. But I really don't like the apex stand anymore . I was thinking of getting a Z stand or something similar, but I don't know how I would attach an iPad to one of these and I can't find anything that would help. Short of using a microphone stand which I really don't want to do. Any suggestions?

Reaction score
Yeah, Chensa:

I can't find anything "ready-made" to suit our needs either, but I am looking at this Quik-Lok two tier stand with a 12 to 20 inch long by 12 inch wide ready-made pressed wood shelf secured to the second tier arms with nylon pipe clamps. I will then secure some type of modified iPad clip-in holder (cover) to the wooden shelf with screws. This should provide a safe, secure, quick-detach mounting for the iPad at the best location for viewing while playing. I have used Quik-Lok stands successfully for many years, and the price on this one is reasonable.

Depending on the design and suitability of the second tier arms, I would even consider drilling and tapping them for #8-32 or #10-32 counter-sunk allen head machine screws and mounting the wooden shelf directly that way, instead of the nylon pipe clamps.

I realize for you to go this way, you would need to convert the above specs to your particular locality.

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/accessories/quik-lok-2-tier-keyboard-stand

Last edited:

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
I own an Onstage two tier Z-stand that's solid as a brick.

http://www.amazon.com/-Stage-KS7365EJ-Heavy-Duty-Folding-Z-Keyboard/dp/B0002F6JH6

By adding a couple of these and some standard goosenecks I attached a couple of mics to my rig.

http://www.amazon.com/KSA7575-Universal-Keyboard-Microphone-Attachment/dp/B0010GNU9Q

Onto one of the mics I attached a sheet music holder but you could just as easily adapt an iPad holder to clamp on either to the gooseneck or to screw directly onto the mic mount.

http://www.amazon.com/Stage-TCM9260-Tablet-Mount-Snap-/dp/B00IJQLUTC

Here's a couple of shots to show what I currently have.

m-stand-1.jpg

m-stand-2.jpg

Gary ;)

Reaction score
Hey, thanks, Gary !

I think for my studio here at home, I am going to stick with what I described above, as I like the idea having the iPad center mounted directly above the keyboard's display screen, but I think what you show here is something more like what Chensa is probably looking for. I think my "center mount" preference just comes from several years of setting the iPad on the CTK/WK's sheet music holder and I am used to having it located there, but after several "close calls" i need to get with something more substantial.

I see you've still got the good ol' XW-P1. (I sold mine, and have regretted it ever since !)

Last edited:

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
Too bad you sold your XP Ted.

Even at 5 years of age it's still the best bang for the buck in today's synth market :)

To be honest the sheet music stand is all steel and it's center of gravity produces a hell of a lot of torque on the screw clamp mounting.

I really can't fit much more than a hundred page fakebook on there without it starting to sag and swing loose.

One of these days I may Rube Goldberg up a better mount for mine as well.

Gary :)

Reaction score
Thanks for the ideas. They all look great, but seems like Ted's would be more for a permanent keyboard station rather then gig use. Happyrat looks interesting and would be curious to know how easy it would be to assemble and disassemble.

Then the first link in CowboyNQ might be what I need. It would be great if they sold it in the US.

I will be chewing on all this. Thanks!

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
Here's a video on assembling and disassembling the Onstage Dual Z.

Mine rarely moves but last time I moved it it was a ten minute job to take it apart and set it up again.

Gary ;)

Last edited:

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
From the related links I also saw this little item.

Looks really nice but also looks really spendy. :eek:

Either way, let us know which direction you finally ended up going in.

Gary ;)

Last edited:
Reaction score
Thanks chensa for starting this thread. Thank you also to Gary for the pictures. They are worth a 1000 words as the saying goes. Happy St. Patrick day one and all. Jim.

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
You're welcome Jim.

In case you're wondering where to pick up the stand I listed, I bought mine from Axe Music out in Edmonton but I paid about $50 less back when the Canadian Dollar was worth more than toilet paper.

http://www.axemusic.com/on-stage-ks7365ej-folding-heavy-duty-dual-tier-z-keyboard-stand.html

You can also get one from Cosmo Music here in Ontario for the same price. I've also dealt with them in the past and they are also reputable. They also offer free shipping on orders over $99.

http://cosmomusic.ca/stand-keyboard-onstage-ks7365-ej-z-style-foldable-w-2nd-tier.html

Or if you feel like making a drive out to Richmond Hill you could arrange to pick one up in store.

Either way they are excellent stands with absolutely ZERO bounce or wobble. I dunno about other people but I can't play a keyboard that bounces up and down everytime I hit a chord.

Gary ;)

EdK

Reaction score
I came across this thread and found it very interesting.

I have the On-Stage Z stand (2-tier) for almost 10 years now. I like it because it's very stable and it works great.

I've also been looking at getting 2 of the KSA7575+ mic attachment bars. One to hold my iPad and the other for a mic.

I'm curious if anyone here has the KSA7575+ and can give some feedback on how well you like it as far as using it to hold an iPad. My main concern is how high the iPad is above the upper tier and/or how close the iPad is to the upper tier. Reason- I keep all my charts on the iPad in an App called Unrealbook. In addition to using the charts, I send MIDI commands from the iPad to my keyboards. Unrealbook allows you to store MIDI commands in each chart which are automatically sent when you pull up the chart. In order for this to work, I have the Camera Adapter which converts the iPad's 30pin port to a USB port and the M-Audio UNO USB to MIDI convertor/cable. Because of the camera adapter, I need an additional 3-4 inches of space under the iPad.

Currently, I've got my iPad mounted on the vertical portion of my mic boom stand which is a little far away for my liking....plus I have to lug a mic stand to a gig.

Any ideas/opinions?

Thanks...EdK
P.S. to Gary- I used to lug 2-3 chart books to gigs also until I scanned all my charts into the iPad. Now I have no music stand or books to bring to gigs. I've got several hundred charts stored in it and it barely consumes any space on my older 16gig iPad 2.

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
Ed >>> Sorry man, I've got the older model, not the +.

The older KS7575 does a bangup job of holding the goosenecks and the sheet holder though.

The only part that comes loose is the clamp holding the sheet holder to the gooseneck, but that's a third party design and not an Onstage part. The sheet holder is a solid sheet of 16 Ga. steel with no holes drilled into it. If they'd drilled some one inch holes into it they could've cut off half the weight and it would be less prone to swinging backward on contact.

The TCM9260 U Mount Holder looks a lot lighter and sturdier from the video and looks like it would hold the iPad in about the same position as my sheet holder. About 3 " behind and dead center and just above the surface of a 7" thick keyboard.

Believe me, the options out there are few and far between and I think you could do a lot worse than picking this gear up.

As for the charts? My gear never leaves my home studio so it's not an issue. It's not like I lug everything around with me on a regular basis.

Gary ;)

EdK

Reaction score
Thanks Gary....

I'm assuming the two pics earlier in this thread is your setup? If so, wow...that's a thick keyboard for sure.
Just out of curiosity, what kind is it? I normally have a Korg M1 on the upper tier with a Korg Triton Studio on the lower tier.

You're right. There are very few options on the market.

Could you do me a favor please? Can you measure the length of the vertical portion of the KSA7575 from the top of the keyboard tier to the 5/8" connector? I'm thinking if the height of it is close to what I need, I might get the Shure A26X desktop extension tube to give me an additional 3 inches in height.

Thanks...Ed

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
Hi Ed.

I just took some measurements.

That is indeed my rig in the above pics.

The top tier keyboard is a Casio XW-P1 and it's exactly 5" in height at the back.

The KSA7575 is also exactly 5" from the top of the upper tier keyboard stand arms to the base of the 5/8" screw on connector.

The sheet music holder sits back about 2-1/2" from the back of the keyboard and about 2-3/4" above the back end of the XW-P1.

If you need more precise measurements I'd suggest visiting Onstage's website where all the specs are easily searchable,

Gary ;)

Reaction score
Currently, I've got my iPad mounted on the vertical portion of my mic boom stand which is a little far away for my liking....plus I have to lug a mic stand to a gig.
Hi Ed,

Not sure if this will help, but attached are some pics of my rig inclusive of iPad stand.

tumblr_o52ukxfqff1ual3guo1_540.jpg

tumblr_o52uhf4F2u1ual3guo1_540.jpg

In the top pic, that's it on the extreme left of picture.

I use a music stand, and attach one of these to secure it:

tumblr_o52urzzDAz1ual3guo1_250.jpg

K&M 19720.

Good luck!

Ask a Question